What are you reading in 2022?

I finished reading Burroughs' Tarzan at the Earth's Core. Good, though a bit chaotic at times. Burroughs somehow manages to bring it all back together by the end, with one purposefully dangling thread to hook into the next novel.

I also re-read Lloyd Alexander's The Black Cauldron and am now starting Kij Johnson's The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe.

Richards

Legend
I'm about to start Bloodless, the latest in Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's Agent Pendergast series. This time Agent Pendergast is investigating a series of bodies in Georgia found with every last ounce of blood drained from them - and this, apparently, somehow ties into the D. B. Cooper disappearance. I look forward to seeing how these two disparate events are connected.

Johnathan

reelo

Hero
Currently reading these 3 books concurrently. Can you see a theme?
225cba134a50e48d2f8c31ed13dbcb11.jpg
a727561b9f8352bdfd7a648f775b7ea6.jpg
3d805fd3b561b272a8a07d67636bd96f.jpg

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
Read Charles Stross' Dead Lies Dreaming. It's a side series set up in the world that his Laundry Files has morphed into. It was good, but lacked a certain zing to it. Call it a 7/10. It did keep the action going and have an interesting cast of characters. But then again, I quite liked early & mid Laundry Files while I'm only a moderate fan of where everything ended up once they introduced superheroes. And the characters in this are an outgrowth of that.
I'm in the same camp re the Laundry Files. The early and mid books was amazing, the later ones is still enjoyable even though I wish the meta plot had taken another direction. And Charles Stross is a solid writer that always deliver.

At the moment I've put my fiction reading on hold. I've been on a semi-uncontrolled shopping spree of WFRP4e/The Enemy Within and Savage Pathfinder/Rise of The Runelords material for two upcoming campaigns this fall, so I read and prep for that.

I still snatch a chapter or two when there's time for my Felix & Gotrek anthologies read through.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I started reading a series by Charlaine Harris, same author as the Sookie Stackhouse books (adapated as the True Blood TV show). Post-apocalyptic from the late 1930's I think? WW2 never happened afaik; and FDR was assassinated leading to dissolution of the United States as we know it today. US has split into 4-5 new nations, with west coast (Cali/Oregon/Wash/Idaho) becoming Holy Russian Empire (Tsar fled Russia to San Diego), the eastern seaboard re-aligning with Britain; a nation called Texoma which I guess is Texas and Okhlahoma; Dixie being the south; Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin joined Canada; Hawaii and Alaska stay in their respective Indigenous hands; and "New America" is everything else. Somehow, Rasputin discovered how to do actual magic, so there are these Russian wizards called grigoris running around.

It features a character called Gunnie Rose who is a bodygaurd, ie a "gunnie". Someone who is good with guns. She kills a TON of people through the course of the first novel. She partners (at least in the first 2 books) (and spoilers

partners in multiple senses of the word

) with one of the grigoris, so there's guns AND magic.

It's pure pap; and I'm here for it. (I've been stuck on the 4th Terra Ignota book for over a month, slowly but surely grinding through it. Recently got to almost the mid-way point). Takes me about 2 days to read the entire novel - refreshing. The plots barely hang together, the relationships are often "wha? why do they like/hate/fear/love that person?", the internal world-building logic doesn't exactly make sense - there's gasoline everywhere but there are also tons of bandits so how does the gasoline get transported to the gas stations? and yet I still find them so far quite enjoyable - especially if I don't squint too hard at them.

Definitely not for everyone, but I expect to see a season one of this series on a streaming service in next few years.

Nellisir

Hero
It's pure pap; and I'm here for it. (I've been stuck on the 4th Terra Ignota book for over a month, slowly but surely grinding through it. Recently got to almost the mid-way point). Takes me about 2 days to read the entire novel - refreshing. The plots barely hang together, the relationships are often "wha? why do they like/hate/fear/love that person?", the internal world-building logic doesn't exactly make sense - there's gasoline everywhere but there are also tons of bandits so how does the gasoline get transported to the gas stations? and yet I still find them so far quite enjoyable - especially if I don't squint too hard at them.
Absolutely not a damned thing wrong with enjoying a series because it's FUN. Sometimes authors just resonate with us, and we forgive them their sins. That's joy.

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
Oathbringer , Stormlight Archive book 3.
Second go, listening to audio book at work as well and overlap helps.
I absolutely blasted through it the first time and missed so much. It’s a slow burn for sure, but characters are so well developed and world building is top notch.
Bridge Four group - Teft, Moash, Rock, etc really fleshed out even more - all terrific charactersl

Remove ads