What are you reading in 2022?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Still reading Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb. I find her books long but ultimately rewarding. But also usually an emotional roller-coaster. I expect I'll be reading for a while.

Finished The Devotion of Suspect X, by Keigo Higashino. I was intrigued by the Tokyo setting and the author's popularity in Japan. The novel itself was a very interesting murder mystery. It was an interesting cat and mouse game. It is not a spoiler to say that one is rooting for the murderer - we see the murder happen "on-screen" in the first 30 pages or so. But how the police solve the murder is really fascinating. Recommended.

Also on vacation I was at a thrift store and picked up books 1,3, and 4 in a murder-mystery series also set in Japan. The author won the Agatha Award for Best First Mystery for the first book called The Salaryman's Wife by Sujata Massey.

Finally, just signed up for the Goodreads 2022 Reading challenge. Last year I finished 52 books, so that's what I'll do this year. A book a week - that feels doable again.

Last edited:

Just finished Battle Ground by Jim Butcher last night. It's book 17 in his Dresden Files series. It felt like an Avengers movie in book form. I really like the series and would heartily suggest it to anyone. The only caveat I have is that the books have been written over a long time (21 years and there's still more to come) and while Butcher's writing was never bad, it has certainly improved.

Next up is The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho. I have no idea what the book is about as I'm only 10 pages in but the copy I got has some very cool art pieces every 2-3 pages and I'm unsure if that's the standard or not.

hedgeknight

Explorer
I need to update my Goodreads page to reflect what I am currently reading:
  • Rainbow in the Dark by Ronnie James Dio > this is his autobiography and since he's my favorite rock/heavy metal singer, I was excited to get it and I'm about 2/3 done. Ronnie was a voracious reader and read a great deal of fantasy literature and his love of those medieval themes showed through in his songs. His death broke my heart, but hardly a week goes by that I don't think about him or spin one of his albums. RIP \m/
  • The Wisdom of Crowds by Joe Abercrombie > this is the third book of his latest trilogy in the world of his First Law setting. I've had it since it was released in September 2021, but just haven't had time to sit down and give it a good read; but I will when I finished Ronnie's book above. If you want grit and wit and jaw-dropping, goose-bumping action, twists and turns, then you need to read Joe Abercrombie. If you haven't heard of him before, pick up The Blade Itself and get ready for a ride!
  • The Spirituality of Wine by Gisela Kreglinger > (from the blurb on Goodreads...) In this book Gisela Kreglinger offers a fresh, holistic vision of the Christian life that sees God at work in all created things, including vineyards, the work of vintners, and the beauty of well-crafted wine shared with others around a table. I'm excited to read this book! I love good wine and within my family (and some friends) there is a barrier about drinking and enjoying a glass with friends.
I'm looking forward to seeing what others are reading this year!

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I'm reading Outbreak: A Crisis of Faith; How Religion Ruined Our Global Pandemic by Noah Lugeons

Noah is a podcaster. It's his take on how religion played a part in the spreading of the virus and misinformation.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
After he got the new Fizban book, I mentioned there were Dragonlance novels to my 12 yo. And so now I have the fun of trying to get him to stop reading his new copy of Dragons of Autumn Twilight so he can get his school work done...

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
Just finished the shadow of the gods by John Gywnne that I received as a Christmas gift. I really really enjoyed it, and eagerly await the second part. I also think it would make an excellent RPG setting.

Mad_Jack

Legend
I'll be doing a re-read of the main 10-book Malazan arc by Erikson before moving into his latest books in that milieu. I read it previously over quite a span of years, losing threads and continuity in the process. A book or more a month will be like both coming home to the familiar and finding fresh new things to appreciate.

I always recommend that series for anyone doing prison time or long-term hospital stays, lol. Someday when I catch up on the pile of unread books I've got I may reread the whole series.

My plans for 2022 are to try to actually read a book.

The current line-up of things I'll probably never get to includes several of the latest Jack Reacher books from Lee Child (I stalled out not quite halfway through Past Tense and just can't seem to finish it), a book called Good Me, Bad Me by Ali Land which is about the teenaged daughter of an infamous female serial killer wondering if she's going to end up being just like mommy dearest, and the omnibus edition of Lillith Saintcrow's Bannon and Claire series, which will actually be the third time I've read the series.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases