What are you reading in 2022?

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Still reading Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. by Ron Chernow.

Still reading The Battle for Spain by Antony Beevor.

Still reading Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Still reading An Artificial Night by Seanan McGuire.

Still listening to Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson.

Still reading Critical Role: Tal’dorei Campaign Setting by Matthew Mercer.

Still reading The Wars of the Roses: The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors by Dan Jones.

Still reading The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon.

Still reading Black Widow: Red Vengeance by Margaret Stohl.

Still reading Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb.

Still reading Matchlock and the Embassy: A Thirty Years’ War Story by Zachary Twamley.

Finished reading The Black Ice by Michael Connelly.

Still reading Rise of the King by R. A. Salvatore.

Still reading The Sorcerer of the North by John Flanagan.

Still reading Ghost Story by Jim Butcher.

Still reading Critical Role: Vox Machina – Kith and Kin by Marieke Nijkamp.

Still reading Half-Off Ragnarok by Seanan McGuire.

Still reading The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan.

Still reading Cytonic by Brandon Sanderson.

Still reading Defending Elysium by Brandon Sanderson.

Still reading To Rescue the Republic: Ulysses S. Grant, the Fragile Union, and the Crisis of 1876 by Brett Baier.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer

Finished reading Critical Role: Tal’dorei Campaign Setting by Matthew Mercer. - Didn’t actually finish completely, but I have the new Reborn guide coming, so figured why waste the time.

Still reading The Wars of the Roses: The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors by Dan Jones.

Still reading Matchlock and the Embassy: A Thirty Years’ War Story by Zachary Twamley.

Still reading Cytonic by Brandon Sanderson.

Still reading To Rescue the Republic: Ulysses S. Grant, the Fragile Union, and the Crisis of 1876 by Brett Baier.

Started reading The Essential Emily Dickinson by Emily Dickinson.

Started reading Concrete Blonde by Michael Connelly.

Started reading Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons by Wizards of the Coast.

Richards

Legend
I'm now reading Thunder of Time by James F. David, another of my library book sale purchases (hardcover for a buck). The bad news is that it's the second book in a series (and I haven't read the first one, Footprints of Thunder), but it seems pretty self-contained and the author did a bit of explanation about what life is like in this world so I think I should be okay going in cold. And I like the premise: due to atomic testing in the 1950s-1960s, we've accidentally created a "time quilt," where large chunks of land got thrown into other time periods. For example, Portland Oregon is no longer there and in its place is a chunk of Cretaceous land along with all of the dinosaurs that were on that patch of land when it was jumped forward into our present. This book looks to take place about 10 years after the first one, so there is now apparently an occupation called "dinosaur ranger" - people who track down the dangerous dinosaurs that have been let loose into our world. Anyway, so far so good.

Johnathan

Nellisir

Hero
Reading The Lies of Locke Lamora again. So. Well. Written.
It really is. I (re)read it and the sequels (for the first time) last year, and have not explanation for how I didn't grok its awesomeness the first time. It's possible I never actually read it, and just thought I did....
Bummer that the rest of the series is still stuck in the author's head, though.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal

Still reading Critical Role: Tal’dorei Campaign Setting by Matthew Mercer.

Still reading The Black Ice by Michael Connelly.

Started reading Cytonic by Brandon Sanderson.

Started reading To Rescue the Republic: Ulysses S. Grant, the Fragile Union, and the Crisis of 1876 by Brett Baier.
Just curious, do you make regular progress on this many?

I have a number of books I am technically reading, but haven't read a page of for more then a month. At that point I personally consider it more "on hiatus" then currently reading, even though I may return to it.

I usually have at most 3 books going at once, just to keep state straight in my head.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
It really is. I (re)read it and the sequels (for the first time) last year, and have not explanation for how I didn't grok its awesomeness the first time. It's possible I never actually read it, and just thought I did....
Bummer that the rest of the series is still stuck in the author's head, though.
Something I read in an interview years back what that the series was supposed to start with the next book, but he realized he needed to tell the story of how they got to where they are.

So Lies of Locke Lamora was almost never written, and you could technically classify it as "backstory".

Lies is such a superior read, and I quite enjoyed the others in the series. I don't begrudge Scott Lynch the time he needs to write and take care of himself and his life. But it would definitely bring me joy to see the next book published.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Her poetry is quite good. It's astonishing to think how much of her work (nearly all of it!) wasn't published until after her death.
Yeah. I had liked her when I had to read her in school, and I just finished the series on Apple+, so thought I'd give her a read. Also was surprised to find when I searched for best biographies for her, the first one listed was a professor I knew (unfortunately now deceased) when I was in college. I didn't have him as a professor, but I met him a couple times and had friends that liked him.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Just curious, do you make regular progress on this many?

I have a number of books I am technically reading, but haven't read a page of for more then a month. At that point I personally consider it more "on hiatus" then currently reading, even though I may return to it.

I usually have at most 3 books going at once, just to keep state straight in my head.
I cycle through the stack, reading in one book a day. Usually can get about 30 pages or more read on that day, depending on the book. On the weekends (which I hadn't really had during the holidays, working every day for a straight month), I tend to stick with one book for the entire weekend. This weekend I got quite a bit of Concrete Blonde read, maybe a fourth of it. And then some days a book will just grab me and instead of watching something on streaming, I'll just stick with reading the book for the day. I do the Goodreads challenge, and I managed 47/45 books for last year, so I made my goal. I bumped it to 50 for this year, and am currently one book ahead. My big problem is "Oh, I want to read that and not wait forever!" so I throw it on the stack. I just ordered The Last Duel for that very reason.

sigh Yes, I have a problem...

I have run into the problem of trying to keep things straight, and a few years ago I did ditch my stack to always read only one book. But then I just got books piling up and piling up and never getting read, and new authors coming out with books I have to read. So I started the new stack trying to keep things more contained by limiting to one book of a genre, so one fantasy book, one history book, etc. Obviously that hasn't stuck... I'm trying to whittle it back down, though.

Remove ads