• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are you reading, obsessive October 2018 edition

Just finished reading Sir Terry’s I Shall Wear Midnight. A beautiful read, with a bit more of the melancholy in it. Still funny and sharp as can be, though, don’t get me wrong.

Now I’m re-reading Robert Asprin’s Another Fine Myth. Longtime favorite, but I haven’t read it in ages.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Just finished reading Sir Terry’s I Shall Wear Midnight. A beautiful read, with a bit more of the melancholy in it. Still funny and sharp as can be, though, don’t get me wrong.

Now I’m re-reading Robert Asprin’s Another Fine Myth. Longtime favorite, but I haven’t read it in ages.

I just finished Wintersmith, so I shall Wear Midnight is up next. It's sitting about three feat from me right now.

Asprin's Myth series I liked when they were coming out, but after many rereads they have lost their sheen. The jokes and twists are too well known to still amuse. Still, I have reread them several times.

In addition to Sir Terry, I'm still on my LMB Vorkosigan Saga kick. I finished Komarr and am more than halfway through A Civil Campaign. I've notice that it often feels like there are a number of book plus later written sequels that make up the series. Barrayar written five years and 11 books after Shards of Honor, but definitely a sequel. Mirror Dance 8 books later than Brother in Arms. Well, Komarr and A Civil Campaign were at least back-to-back.

ccs

41st lv DM
I've just started The Complete Chronicles of Conan (Centenary Edition).

I was reading some discussion a few weeks ago about a Conan/Barbarian mini that ran into legal trouble & it hit me: Other than a single pocket sized edition compilation from Marvel Comics when I was about 12, I've never read any of the actual Conan stories!
So a quick Amazon search & about a week later I've set about remedying that.

At 925 pages I expect this will serve as my answer come Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb.....
I'll probably read one or two stories, read something else, read another one or two, & so on. Otherwise I'll suffer burnout if I try & plow straight through with nothing else.

Jhaelen

First Post
After proofreading a friend's new novel that is soon to be published, I started reading 'A Night Without Stars' by Peter F. Hamilton. It's the sequel to 'The Abyss Beyond Dreams'. I hope it doesn't drag on as much as the first novel did. I mainly picked it up now because it's better to read it while I still remember a few bits about the story.

Blue

[MENTION=508]Richards[/MENTION], you mentioned you were reading Rudy Rucker. Is that the same author who was proto-cyberpunk, before cyberpunk was a thing? I think I read Wetware and a few others but it's been literally decades.

Blue

So I just found out that a new Honor Harrington book - supposedly the last starring her - is out. *sigh* My to-read pile looms at me, but that series is my guilty pleasure.

Richards

Legend
[MENTION=508]Richards[/MENTION], you mentioned you were reading Rudy Rucker. Is that the same author who was proto-cyberpunk, before cyberpunk was a thing? I think I read Wetware and a few others but it's been literally decades.

That would be the one, yes. He's a mathematician as well as an author (fiction and nonfiction), and so far it shows - several of the short stories have involved mathematical concepts, and some have even included diagrams to demonstrate the concepts involved.

Johnathan

Richards

Legend
I don't usually include comic books in these threads, but last week Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man #310 was in my weekly stash and I thought it was worth mentioning. It's a standalone story - the last issue of the current writer and artist, Chip Zdarsky, as a matter of fact - and it's awesome. If you're a Spider-Man fan (or ever were), this is definitely a good issue to pick up. I put it on the same level, story-wise and emotionally, as Roger Stern's "The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man" from way back in Amazing Spider-Man issue #248. (If that means anything to you, you'll recognize it as a high recommendation.)

Johnathan

Remove ads