What are you reading this year 2020?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Rick Riordan's books (the Egyptian ones, and then the Norse ones) are playing off the same tried and true tropes. I'm glad he's making a ton of money off them.

But for me, I finally bailed out of them. That was after 13-14 novels.

However, I've really been thinking about the "you are special in some way, and also about to start secondary school, AND the secondary school you are going to is specifically for people of your ilk" genre of stories. Taking place in modern times. Tales like Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, The Mortal Instruments, even Wizards of Waverly Place. Currently more along the lines of world building, as opposed to figuring out what the player core loop is (although I can imagine a couple of different ways to handle).

Rick Riordan's books (the Egyptian ones, and then the Norse ones) are playing off the same tried and true tropes. I'm glad he's making a ton of money off them.

But for me, I finally bailed out of them. That was after 13-14 novels.
Book 5 of The Trails of Apollo is due out later this year,and Dresden Files next two books are due out this year,july and September

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Book 5 of The Trails of Apollo is due out later this year,and Dresden Files next two books are due out this year,july and September

Oh, you invoked Dresden Files! I'm definitely a fan, but have been missing the series.

Here's the trailer for Peace Talks (Trailer for a book, what?)

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
While waiting for that to arrive I'm reading two other books. I'm reading The Sword of Summer, the first of Rick Riordan's Magnus Chase series. Same author as Percy Jackson, but this one is Norse. It's ... decent. It has the same type of earnest, snarky and likable but somewhat clueless protagonist thrown into a tense, imminent, and world-alerting event they (explicitly they) need to resolve with plucky, competent, quirky companions. I enjoyed the Percy Jackson first series. This feels ... like popcorn. It's a fun read but isn't catching me the same way. I'm more interested in one of the companions then Magnus Chase -- though that may have been true for the Percy Jackson books as well as I really enjoyed Annabeth. Who happens to be the cousin of this book's protagonist. I'm a bit more than halfway through, we'll see how it ends up.
I agree. The original Percy Jackson and the Olympians series was the best of Riordan's books. The Kane Chronicles are good as well, but I do prefer the original percy jackson series. The Heroes of Olympus are also well written, but the Trials of Apollo and Magnus Chase feel more of comedy books than mythology in modern days in theme.

Finished reading Delany's Babel-17. Wow, was it good. Glad I gave Delany another shot.

Now I'm reading the Thieves World volume, Storm Season. I don't think I've read it since nineteen-eighty-something, so I'm looking forward to spending time with this old favorite.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Finished reading Delany's Babel-17. Wow, was it good. Glad I gave Delany another shot.

Now I'm reading the Thieves World volume, Storm Season. I don't think I've read it since nineteen-eighty-something, so I'm looking forward to spending time with this old favorite.
Oh I loved Storm Season. Man this thread is bringing up so many memories of my youth and the books I loved then. If I had the time to read like I did then...

[edited to add:] Maybe if I spent less time on EnWorld, and more time reading...?

My brother and I read and re-read the Thieves World books when we were kids. Those books are really groundbreaking - not only for presenting a grittier fantasy, but for the collaboration of multiple authors, when it all was done by snail mail.

I always try to make time to read before I work, on my lunch break, and after work (previously I would spend my commute to work reading, but working from home means not commuting further than from upstairs to downstairs). Not quite like when I would spend days on end reading when I was young, but I do what I can.

Oh I loved Storm Season. Man this thread is bringing up so many memories of my youth and the books I loved then. If I had the time to read like I did then...

[edited to add:] Maybe if I spent less time on EnWorld, and more time reading...?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
My brother and I read and re-read the Thieves World books when we were kids. Those books are really groundbreaking - not only for presenting a grittier fantasy, but for the collaboration of multiple authors, when it all was done by snail mail.

I always try to make time to read before I work, on my lunch break, and after work (previously I would spend my commute to work reading, but working from home means not commuting further than from upstairs to downstairs). Not quite like when I would spend days on end reading when I was young, but I do what I can.

Yeah the shared world concept blew my mind; but also led to some uneven results. More so in the Aces series edited by George RR Martin - which I also really liked.

Sometimes I decide to read during lunch, other times I decide to exercise, and then sometimes I work through lunch, which I'm trying to stop doing...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases