What are you reading this year 2020?

Nellisir

Hero
Just started reading the Da Vinci Code series. Finished Angels & Demons already, and am 2/3rds of the way through Da Vinci Code.
Both books are well written and have interesting plots, even though they are basically filled with inaccurate historical speculation.

I have to admit, I thought The Da Vinci Code was an excellent example of write-by-numbers. Paragraph A, exposition. Paragraph B&C, location description. Paragraph D, action event. Repeat.
That said, it's a bestseller and I'm all for anything that gets people reading. :)

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I have to admit, I thought The Da Vinci Code was an excellent example of write-by-numbers. Paragraph A, exposition. Paragraph B&C, location description. Paragraph D, action event. Repeat.
That said, it's a bestseller and I'm all for anything that gets people reading. :)
I just finished the book. It's good, though there are some glaring falsehoods in the book. A good, amusing read, but don't believe nearly anything it says.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Finished reading 5e's Explorer's Guide to Wildmount.

Still reading Terry Pratchett's Unseen Academicals.

Still reading Brandon Sanderson's Oathbringer.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Just finished Octavia E. Butler's Parable of the Sower, the first in a duology. What a chilling portrayal of the collapse of our society as ecological/climate devastation, economic injustice, and the fraying and eventual obliteration of societal norms finally result in a slow-pocalypse. The main character is relatable.

Highly recommended.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Just sat down to read all the parts of Xanathar's Guide to Everything I hadn't before. I found I was missing out - good stuff there.

In the last half of Seven Surrenders, the second book in the Terra Ignota quartet by Ada Palmer. Quite enjoying it, but having a big event of the past shoved on me after 1.5 books that isn't foreshadowed or referecens anywhere else, just so that there can be a shocking revelation about it three pages later - there was no opportunity for me to get invested. And this is after the author had done a great job laying pipe for other things. And the tonal shift that happened in the later half of the first book is the norm for this book.

It is an exceptional read, truly. Frightfully prophetic, too.

I just finished Mazes and Monsters. Lacking the cheese of the movie, it's a little more banal and trite. I can say it kept my interest. It explores everyone's backgrounds more than the movie, though it mostly waltzes right past all the psychological issues of the main characters to point the finger solidly at RPGs.

Just finished Octavia E. Butler's Parable of the Sower, the first in a duology. What a chilling portrayal of the collapse of our society as ecological/climate devastation, economic injustice, and the fraying and eventual obliteration of societal norms finally result in a slow-pocalypse. The main character is relatable.

Remove ads