What are you reading this year 2020?

Dread Nation was darn good. Frightfully topical, too.

Now I'm re-reading Zelazny's Jack of Shadows. I got it from the library four years and I finally got around to picking up my own copy.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I've been actively seeking out fantasy and science fiction from non-white-dude authors, with a focus on fantasy that doesn't use European history as it's touchstone.

I started on a few that didn't grab me. Sisters of the Deep Black by Lina Rather wasn't rivetting, but was really interesting, and a quick read. I just started on Children of Blood and Bone by Toni Adayemi. I like the way it's written and it seem promising.

Next on the to-try pile is The Dragon Republic, by R.F. Kuang

Oh, and I read the pretty massive graphic novel Grass by Keum-Suk Gendry-Kim and it was very, very good.

Also: am assortment of Bronze Age comics that I find in my collection, and semi-random comics on Hoopla.

I've been actively seeking out fantasy and science fiction from non-white-dude authors, with a focus on fantasy that doesn't use European history as it's touchstone.

Aftermath by LeVar Burton (yes THAT Levar Burton) is okay and it's moved into Alternate History since it's setting is 2019, but it's still sci-fi due to a number of elements.

Nellisir

Hero
I finished Endymion and just...hit a slump. (Endymion is good, btw.) The only thing I've finished in the past few weeks has been The Nowhere Hunt, by Jo Clayton. I'm still sorting out how I feel about this book.

On one hand, it's a bog-standard mid-series (The Diadem series) little book that assumes you know the protagonist and her abilities (has magic sci-fi energy crown thing) that plots like Writing 101. Protagonist, impetus for action, complication, etc, etc. There are developments, but they only make sense or have meaning in the greater scope of the series. It's a bit dull, and character development is largely either non-existent or actually going in reverse.

On the other hand, there's a second story and second protagonist woven in that exist largely outside the ken of the first protagonist. It's hard to say more without spoilers, but imagine a heroic action-adventure tale of Christopher Colombus discovering the New World...except interwoven into it is the story of a Native American woman and her tribe who bear the very real consequences of said "discovery".

I can't tell if it's a scathing take-down of the blithe optimism in (functionally) first contact SF; a writer trying to dress up a dry interlude story with a "simultaneously playing in the background" story that eclipses the main story; some kind of authorial conceit; or something else entirely.

carrot

Explorer
Recently finished the latest Ben Aaronovitch: Tales from the Folly. It was good, but it's just a few short stories. Looking forward to the next "proper" story.

I'm gradually working my way through The Wounded Kingdom trilogy by RJ Baker. Its got a nice premise (most of the gods are dead, and magic use is based on draining life force - a bit "dark sun" - so all mages are persecuted) and the story was interesting even though the narrative feels a little clunky at times. It was engaging enough for me to continue with the second book. The story is still good, but main character has started to get a little bit too whiney now though and seems to make some very strange choices at times. I'll push on through and see if it gets any better.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases