What are you reading this year 2020?

Nellisir

Hero
Continuing on

I finally read the Stealer of Souls and Stormbringer (originally published 1961-1964) - using the 2008 Del Ray edition. It looks like it has the original magazine versions.

Moorcock mentions in a 1963 essay later that he cleaned some of it up for when it appeared in the early editions of the books. and says "I'm not heavy with any of the magazine stories as they stand and have made, in places, quite heavy revision." It makes me wish I had purchased a different edition with that editing in it. The writing itself in the early stories was not good. Not surprisingly though, for someone in there very early 20s, it got better quickly, although it still isn't always solid.

If Law and Chaos has one wondering if Anderson's "Three Hearts and Three Lions" was a big influence, Chapter 3 of Doom Lord's Passing seals it I think. He credits both 3H&3L and Zoroastrianism for the Elric cosmology. In regards to Anderson, as of 1963 he thought "The Broken Sword" was the high point and the later stuff wasn't as good. In regards to Moonglum, Moorcock mentions being a big fan of the mouser.

Moorcock's introduction at the beginning and his acknowledgements at the end give me a different (more positive) impression of him than some of the earlier snippets I've read of his. Alan Moore's foreword was bizarre (but not unexpected).

I'm not sure, based on these two if I'd call it Sword and Sorcery. Maybe I'd have to read the other volumes to get that? And I'm not sure I'm interested enough based on what's here. Anyone have a recommendation for jumping in for more to get that flavor of it? I might follow Moorcock's suggestions and get The Broken Sword or check out Mervyn Peake's works for the time being.

Just a quick note looking at that list: Nine Princes in Amber and The Guns of Avalon are only two books in a 5-book cycle, which is itself the first half of a 10-book series. There's almost no resolution in just reading the first two books; read the whole Corwin Cycle. Compared to modern books it's not a particularly long read - if published now all 5 would probably be a single book.

Also, as you may have guessed from previous comments, I agree with Moorcock. The Broken Sword is better.

Nellisir

Hero
Thank you for the recommendation. Helped me decide to just click the button to order it.
"I feel like Poul Anderson might not get enough credit for his influence on D&D. He's certainly cited, particularly for Three Hearts and Three Lions, but reading this book was about as close as reading a direct transcription of a D&D setting into a novel as I've ever seen."

Re Zelazny: For the record, I would happily read Zelazny's grocery list. His writing is amazing. I recommend anything by him.

Janx

Hero
Been awhile. Finished Peace Talks by Jim Butcher, Binti by Nnendi Okorafor. Next to Last Stand book by Craig Johnson and just started Dread Nation by Justina Ireland.

Finished re-reading Castle of Otranto. There's certainly a reason that I read it decades ago and it slipped out of mind. It's like someone took Shakespeare, stripped out the clever and gorgeous language, and amped up the melodrama. It may be considered the founder of the gothic lit genre, but it certainly is more notable for what it would inspire than its own merits. In essence, its short hundred page length dragged.

Next up I'm back to some Appendix N literature, with Manly Wade Wellman's Who Fears the Devil? I'm not particularly happy with the cover of this edition, but it was the most affordable in the best condition. Such a shame that these stories are so out of print.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I was on a business trip this past week (since Monday), so I've had a lot of reading time on planes, in airports, and in hotel rooms. I've read the following since Monday:

However...none of these books were my Plan A for this business trip. I had fully intended to be reading The Thorn of Emberlain by Scott Lynch, Book Four of the Gentlemen Bastards series, and spent last weekend trying in vain to find it. According to a site I found while doing frantic Google research, apparently the release date has now been bumped from "September 17th, 2020" to just "2021." What a bummer!

Johnathan

I love that first book by Lynch, and really like the next two. But, man, whatever his issues are, he's really struggling getting this next book out. I still think these would be great HBO shows.....

Ryujin

Legend
"Calico Kids" by friend Todd Downing is next on my list. Was supposed to start on it over the weekend, but got all wrapped up in other stuff. It just dropped on Amazon, last Friday. It's a '80s retro SciFi/Horror, based on a short story that he wrote a fairly long while back. He also posted the '80s playlist that he used for inspiration, somewhere. I could likely dig it up if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

carrot

Explorer
Finished The Wounded Kingdom trilogy by RJ Barker. It was ok, but don't think I'll read any more if the author decides to continue the story.

I then read Ink and Sigil by Kevin Hearne. It's an Iron Druid series off-shoot. It's not as good or as interesting unfortunately, but I'll probably read more if and when it arrives.

Moved on to the latest entry of the Cycle of the Scour - The Black Book by Edward W Robinson. I'm not really a fan of this side-series, and I'm just waiting for him to get back to his main story The Cycle of Galand which I find much more interesting.

Ooo Battle Grounds has just arrived... It's tempting to go read that now :)

Remove ads