What are you reading this year 2020?

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Still reading Exploring Eberron by Keith Baker.

Still reading The Shepherd's Crown, the last Terry Pratchett novel.

Still reading Night of the Assassins: The Untold Story of Hitler's Plot to Kill FDR, Churchill, and Stalin by Howard Blum.

Started reading Dawnshard by Brandon Sanderson.

Just finished watching The Queen's Gambit and Pawn Sacrifice, so I am going to do a reread of Searching for Bobby Fischer.

As for the reread question, I rarely do, but some that I have:

Just finished rereading all of the Stormlight Archives books by Brandon Sanderson in preparation for Rhythm of War.

I've reread my favorite novel The Brother's Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

I've reread The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane.

There are probably a few more that I am not recalling. I wouldn't mind rereading David Edding's Belgariad series.

Mercurius

Legend
Currently re-reading Patricia McKillip's Riddle-Master books, and loving them.

I have a ton of books in the queue - a mixture of pre-Tolkien classics (especially drawn from the Ballantine Adult Fantasy), more re-reads of old favorites, some books I missed along the way, and a bunch of newer stuff.

McKillip's writing is gorgeous. She writes these ethereal stories that feel like folktales that might have been (see also Lord Dunsany).

Currently re-reading Patricia McKillip's Riddle-Master books, and loving them.

I have a ton of books in the queue - a mixture of pre-Tolkien classics (especially drawn from the Ballantine Adult Fantasy), more re-reads of old favorites, some books I missed along the way, and a bunch of newer stuff.

Definitely hugely influential and of amazing quality. I also think, as far as I've seen, he is the first person to put a black blade in a fantasy tale (the magic sword in The King of Elfland's Daughter).

Yep. Love Dunsany, who I see as arguably the second most influential fantasy writer, after Tolkien -- and one of the greatest.

Pawndream

Explorer
I finished The Cleric Quintent, a five novel series by R.A. Salvatore this week. I had heard positive things about this series over the years, particularly about the unique characters, but have mixed feelings about the collection.

On one hand, R.A. Salvatore is a gifted writer when it comes to creating light page turners that don't require a lot of thought, but on the other hand, I thought his combat descriptions were unnecessarily lengthy, detailed, and at many times, highly unbelievable. I know, I know, it's fantasy, but still. Also the main character having essentially a Yo-Yo as a primary weapon was a major suspension of disbelief for me.

At any rate, there were fun moments in the books, but also large spans where I wanted the author to narrate through combat rather than providing play-by-play announcer and color commentator for every. single. battle.

:)

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Also the main character having essentially a Yo-Yo as a primary weapon was a major suspension of disbelief for me.
But what about - Sukeban Deka?
1605992843097.png

And Mamiya from Fist of the North Star
1605992874049.png

And of course Jun the Swan from Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets
1605992899841.png

Pawndream

Explorer
I wasn't aware the Yo-Yo weapon thing was so prevalent. I was not familiar with any of those characters you posted, but apparently it's a thing :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases