• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Are Your Best Battle Tactics?

CuRoi

First Post
Yes, Glitterdust.

If the party doesn't have access to see invisibility, tremorsense, scent, or anything else to help pinpoint an invisible foe....depending on the arena size it might be hard for them to target the area for a Glitterdust burst where they -think- an Invisible mage might be hovering and whispering spells (is it an enclosed arena? How about an echo that could prevent pinpointing...) Though again, arena size depending, a sorcerer could spam it (maybe along with Widening it) and get lucky.

Summon Monster is close range, but it might still be hard to pinpoint by sound alone without a good "listener". In that case, Silence as previously suggested is a great idea for the not so obvious reasons - sure, it messes with PC casting but it keeps them from hearing you cast from your perch. I'd Widen it if you can (might be too high level for a henchman to pull off though.)

To further complicate things, you could Enlarge Spell so you can cast spells from farther away (making attempts to find you even more difficult) or Silent Spell if Silence isn't operating. That metamagic won't work well with Summons (cast times are atrocious), but if it keeps you undetected...

I had an "arena" style room once which had an enclosed hallway encircling the room about 3/4 of the way up the wall just below where the dome of the roof started to curve. There was a balcony concealed by an illusion running the entire circumference of the room and a hidden caster could see into the room and fire off spells.

Dandu

First Post
If the party doesn't have access to see invisibility, tremorsense, scent, or anything else to help pinpoint an invisible foe....depending on the arena size it might be hard for them to target the area for a Glitterdust burst where they -think- an Invisible mage might be hovering and whispering spells (is it an enclosed arena? How about an echo that could prevent pinpointing...) Though again, arena size depending, a sorcerer could spam it (maybe along with Widening it) and get lucky.
These are issues, but there is a workaround.

An invisible wizard casting spells must speak the verbal component in a clear, audible voice. He cannot whisper. This allows him to be noticed by a listen check as a free action each round.

The DC to hear people talking is 0. The party will need someone to make a DC 20+1/10 ft distance to pinpoint the wizard, though you only need to beat the DC to know he's "over there" somewhere. This helps targeting with Glitterdust's 10ft radius spread. (20 ft diameter sphere).

I have disregarded echos as they are not mentioned anywhere in the rules.

To further complicate things, you could Enlarge Spell so you can cast spells from farther away (making attempts to find you even more difficult) or Silent Spell if Silence isn't operating. That metamagic won't work well with Summons (cast times are atrocious), but if it keeps you undetected...
True, but a 5th level caster is now using third level slots for SM2. This really isn't going to produce a great threat for a party of 5th level characters.

Last edited:

CuRoi

First Post
Ahhh yet again a house rule I probably adopted long ago which has invaded the "rules" which I rarely reference anymore, heh. I need a WARNING label in my sig..."Senile DM that tired of rules long ago..." I've always let players whisper or "cast quietly"...especially druids...cause yelling tends to scare the animals, heh. Plus, it lets necromancers and such be creepy when casting spells :p

This just makes Silent casting, Silence, or distance all the more important to keep your bad guy alive a bit longer. Yes it burns higher level spell slots, but it makes the PCs work a bit harder to find the sorcerer while his mentioned "minions" hopefully do some damage.

Off the wall suggestion (which I'm sure someone will quote a rule to tell me its busted, hehe) but cast Ventriloquism before casting any spells....

Or maybe there is ambient noise like a CROWD CHEERING FOR BLOOD ;) that covers the casting or increases DC.

At any rate, if you are in a quiet, small "arena" and you go straight by rules, I'd seriously reconsider Levitate / Invis. Your sorcerer is a sitting duck in that scenario for all kinds of reasons. You might be better off on the ground with Invis and Expeditious Retreat going IMO.

Still, the "over there somewhere" needs to be sufficiently vague IMO with more info depending on the result of their roll. All of these are said without pointing at the map or looking at the table by the way...put on some shades for the poker face, hah!)
i.e. Listen Check results:
5 "In front of you"
10 "In front of you and it could be higher up"
15 "greater than 20 feet ahead and higher up in the air"
20 "about 30 to 45 feet ahead and speaking down on you, almost like a hill giant (well, if they've met one...)
25 "40 feet in front of you and 10 feet up"

orion90000

First Post

Summon Monster is close range, but it might still be hard to pinpoint by sound alone without a good "listener". In that case, Silence as previously suggested is a great idea for the not so obvious reasons - sure, it messes with PC casting but it keeps them from hearing you cast from your perch. I'd Widen it if you can (might be too high level for a henchman to pull off though.)

I had an "arena" style room once which had an enclosed hallway encircling the room about 3/4 of the way up the wall just below where the dome of the roof started to curve. There was a balcony concealed by an illusion running the entire circumference of the room and a hidden caster could see into the room and fire off spells.

You assume that the arena doesn't have a sandy floor that would give away the locations of invisible people easily. Hardwood/stone arena floors require constant cleaning of blood. Sand... kick it around and keep on going.

ashockney

First Post
Oh, but let us not lose sight of the tremendous fun we can have with the henchmen! One of my favorites for about this level. Two batches of 1st or 1/1 sorcerers who alternate assaults from behind cover. One set are truestriking on their crossbow attacks, while the others are Ray of Enfeebling on those that rush the casters. Good times.

Glitterdust is terrificly effective. But, what about:
Alter Self + Disguise? -- Who's the villian?
Spider Climb + Scorching Ray? -- Eye popping direct damage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads