Planescape What are your favorite creatures, concepts, planes, gate-towns, NPCs, etc. of the Planescape Setting?

Stormonu

Legend
Bebeliths. They make great doom clocks as something you run from and do your best to avoid fighting. Their near-indestructible webs (which are apparently strong enough to entrap souls) and ability to innately plane shift can also be used to abduct someone of value and leave a group scrambling to recover the victim before the Bebelith returns them back to their lair.

jgsugden

Legend
I have my own version of Sigil. It is run by a "Lady of Pain" who is essentially a Hellraiser Cenobite. Mine exists in the Astral Sea and was built when people 'dragged' gates found within the Astral together to create a hub in which people could walk through one gate from one place, walk across the city and leave to another place using another gate - or, more generally, to sail from one gate to the next as most of the gates are big enough for Spelljammers to pass through. My version has many different factions at work within the city, but the Lady of Pain is the ultimate power and will not allow others to have too much power. She also allows violence in her City, but not killing or permanent maiming.

A key problem for the city is that you can get into the city fairly easily using certain gates, but almost all of the gates are hidden behind paywalls to allow you to leave. I mean, there are some gates that are unguarded and anyone could walk through - but not many people want a one way trip to Avernus, an island in the center of a lake of lava, or cursed lands. If you find yourself in my Sigil and you don't have the funds to leave, your best bet is to go to work for the Miner's Guild. They have mining operations in my Elemental Plane and will book you passage anywhere if you work for them. However, the contract you sign is very strict, and those that do not live up to it end up being required to perform more labor as a fine for breach of contract. Despite all of the other oddities of my Sigil, it is these mining dwarves that tend to get the most attention from players. They're not evil - just insanely greedy and demanding and understand exactly how desparate people can be to leave Sigil.

Oh boy! I mean, berk!

I've developed quite an interest in the chaotic planes between the alignments. The ones that seem to never really get much attention. Beastlands, Ysgard, Pandemonium, Carceri, and Gehenna. (Law is boring.)

I think 3 out of 4 times an outer plane appears in D&D, it's the Abyss. If it's not the Abyss, it's either Baator, Limbo, or Celestia. I've almost never seen anything being done with any of the other planes.

Similarly, I quite like the yugoloths. For exactly the same kind of reasons.

Occasionally you get Carceri because of Torment and the Demodands.

But for me it's Aborea, Tartarus (I prefer this name to Carceri), Hades, Ysgard, Archoron (keep mixing this name up with Archons, the Celestials), Mount Celestia, Elysium, and Limbo.

Pandomium, Gehenna, Biopia, Arcadia just seem so seem so pointless, like two have some biblical inspiration, but nothing that doesn't seem better covered by Hell and the Abyss. Nothing that makes them pop. The other two seem to not even have Mythological inspiration, they are kind of boring. They need some cool stuff, they feel like filler.

Also the the middle kinds of planes that are partly neutral, but also partly not neutral, like what does that even mean on practical terms, I mean Ysgard is Chaotic Good like Aborea, but also Chaotic Neutral like Limbo. It seems like this needs better explanation.

Best faction of Sigil is Society of Sensation, but despite liking Planescape as my second favourite classic setting, alot of the faction feel poorly conceived.

For creatures, I'll stick to stuff that hasn't been reveal or that I think won't end up in 2024 MM. An update to Nymphs, Lillend, Ausuras, Brachina, Lilitu, Tartarus Titans.

Remove ads