D&D General What are your favorite Domains of Dread?

Remathilis

Legend
I was working on a campaign set in Darkon in the interim period between the Requiem and Azalin's return. Azalin is missing, Death had control of Il Akuk but cannot leave the city of the dead. Demi-Lords control the six regions, the State Religion is crumbling and the Church of Ezra is ascendent. But even as these factions fight for control, perhaps the only way to prevent annihilation is to bring back the One True King of Darkon...

R_J_K75

Legend
Barovia is the one domain I remember the best and probably the only one we played in. I read Vampires in the Mist and Knight of the Black Rose, both pretty good novels, and iirc both took place in that domain. When I think of Ravenloft thats the domain that comes to mind first as the quintessential domain. If I were to ever run a campaign in the setting I'd probably set it there. I have I, Strahd, and Specter of the Black Rose which I never read, maybe I should get around to that one day. In my opinion the campaign setting couldve done without quite a few of the domains, some just felt like filler. I'd rather have seen 10 well rounded and detailed domains than 30 sparse ones.

JEB

Legend
Despite my fondness for Ravenloft as a setting unto itself, I tend to find the weird or isolated domains more compelling. Particularly pocket domains like The Winding Road, Scaena, and Davion. I also like Forlorn, for some reason.

Honestly, though, I tend to find the darklords more interesting than many of the domains themselves.

Voadam

Legend
Pre Grim Harvest Darkon for me. The most straight D&D domain but still full Ravenloft. So elves and dwarves and wizards but also secret police who are secretly vampires and such. Lots of opportunity for below the dark lord level of stuff to be going on with smooth D&D interactions as opposed to many of the realms' "everybody here hates X (normal PC concept)".

Remove ads