• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [+] What are your favorite things about 5e?

What I've found, and I know this is just me, is that the time spent gaming to go from level 10 to 11 is a few sessions, so it's an actual significant time sink of not playing the PC I really want just to get to a certain "build level". I.e., the "take a couple levels of X" argument. A couple levels is a couple months of gaming.

That's one factor. The other is that we rarely play above the low teens. 90% of our gaming is between level 3 and 10. So I'm sure that's a factor too.

I think the second factor is more important. The first factor is actually an argument in FAVOR of multiclassing for many characters. E.g. a ranger 11 who gains a level can either gain a feat, or gain IIRC Expertise in Stealth and Athletics, a free skill, and 1d6 sneak attack. A feat isn't terrible but at least to me, +4 to Stealth/Athletics and Sneak Attack is better. Next level Cunning Action is still more compelling than a feat, and then Assassination after that. Ranger and Rogue are both front-loaded so they multiclass well with each other, never leaving you stuck playing an "intermediate" build. Paladin and Sorcerer are similar IMO, with Paladin 1 through 6 (aura) then Sorc 1 (Shield, Expeditious Retreat, Fire Bolt, Tides of Chaos) being the logical first steps, then either Paladin 9 or Sorc 4 are equally attractive next goals, for either Aura of Vitality/Dispel Magic or Feat + Enhance Ability + Metamagic + Web/Blur.

YMMV though.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I think the second factor is more important. The first factor is actually an argument in FAVOR of multiclassing for many characters. E.g. a ranger 11 who gains a level can either gain a feat, or gain IIRC Expertise in Stealth and Athletics, a free skill, and 1d6 sneak attack. A feat isn't terrible but at least to me, +4 to Stealth/Athletics and Sneak Attack is better. Next level Cunning Action is still more compelling than a feat, and then Assassination after that. Ranger and Rogue are both front-loaded so they multiclass well with each other, never leaving you stuck playing an "intermediate" build. Paladin and Sorcerer are similar IMO, with Paladin 1 through 6 (aura) then Sorc 1 (Shield, Expeditious Retreat, Fire Bolt, Tides of Chaos) being the logical first steps, then either Paladin 9 or Sorc 4 are equally attractive next goals, for either Aura of Vitality/Dispel Magic or Feat + Enhance Ability + Metamagic + Web/Blur.

YMMV though.

I guess what I meant was that let's say there's a class ability at level 10 that I really would like to have. Do I essentially delay that by months of playing, just because I want to multi-class into another class? I've run into that with my monk a few times. I mentioned how I've thought about MCing into a warlock for Devil's sight, but then I look and see how evasion would really come in handy. So I put it off. And then I see how my increased movement and damage is great, etc etc.

I guess what I meant was that let's say there's a class ability at level 10 that I really would like to have. Do I essentially delay that by months of playing, just because I want to multi-class into another class? I've run into that with my monk a few times. I mentioned how I've thought about MCing into a warlock for Devil's sight, but then I look and see how evasion would really come in handy. So I put it off. And then I see how my increased movement and damage is great, etc etc.

Yeah, that makes sense. I don't like multiclassing monks either.

Jumped into an online game and started at level 1 while the rest of the party was 5, 9, 9, etc. And because of the flatter math I still managed to hit, and find hidden doors, pick locks, and generally contribute. Which is a neat change with lots of added effects.

For example, if players miss a session they can not get xp without feeling like they're useless. If characters die their replacement can be at a lower level and still function. It's easier to award bonus experience as a reward, since you don't need to keep everyone even. And the like.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
1. It has kept D&D alive as a tabletop RPG. (If it hadn't succeeded, I suspect D&D would be in mothballs for now. And that has been important for me as a 4E fan because it has keep the online 4E tools alive! :) )
2. It has resulted in some pretty good adventures for my preferred world of FR (I'm including the loose Next trilogy of Dragonspear, Scourge, and Dead in Thay in that list, but not the Tyranny of Dragons duology).
3. Online forums are back to discussing playing D&D instead of edition warring. Two thumbs up!

tom.zunder

Explorer
Bounded accuracy
The race/class/background thing
The lovely light skill system
The narrative blocks at the right of the sheet
The advantage/disadvantage system
The light metagaming inspiration system

CyanideSprite

First Post
I like how basic attacks are relevant once again. I like how not every class is basically a wizard, learning new tricks every level. I like this edition's Dungeon Master's Guide. I feel like it is very useful.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Supporter
The Fantasy Grounds 5e ruleset... :p I'm only half joking! I love playing 5e for many of the reasons that are already listed in the posts above. But I'm really liking the ability to play 5e over Fantasy Grounds with friends scattered across the globe with minimal work for myself (I have more money than time). Definitely not more work than I'd put in if I was playing face to face. The fact that WotC finally licensed out D&D to a VTT company that has a VTT that works is a gigantic plus for me.

Brian Seligman

First Post
I like the speed and ease of playing.
Advantage is so much better then trying to remember all of the different mods I can't praise it enough. Milestones are excellet and give Epic play serious goals & abilities that don't skew the numbers so high that nothing is a challenge. Classes have their own unique flavors and customization possiblities. It's wonderful!

Remove ads