What are your player behavior rules in F2F games?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Or you just don't have furniture and fixtures that can (or that you care about) being broken. I mean, "Don't play ball in the house," is Brady Bunch level stuff.

Sturdy used office furniture bought of Craig's List and theater of the mind for the win!

But, yes, if you have $5,000 game table upon which you spent hours setting up terrain for the session, it is probably best to prohibit tackling other players even if they are about to kick the sleeping dragon.

aramis erak

Legend
Sometimes you just have to put another player in a headlock to stop their character from doing something stupid. But it should be kept to a minimum. ;-)
My groups don't do such. Instead, we get the sillies and plot progress can become compromised along with adequate oxygenation while still remaining totally hands off. :)

Sturdy used office furniture bought of Craig's List and theater of the mind for the win!

But, yes, if you have $5,000 game table upon which you spent hours setting up terrain for the session, it is probably best to prohibit tackling other players even if they are about to kick the sleeping dragon.

Hence my rules... :cool:

Its all in good fun. Different regions, backgrounds, and general friendships result in a wide range of what is considered 'fun', but in the end, if the group is having a good time, that's the goal of the hobby.

I'm heading to a three-weapon competition today, and even though a lot of the other people are friends and acquaintances going back a quarter-century, there won't be any horseplay there. Different groups, different standards.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Hence my rules... :cool:

Its all in good fun. Different regions, backgrounds, and general friendships result in a wide range of what is considered 'fun', but in the end, if the group is having a good time, that's the goal of the hobby.

I'm heading to a three-weapon competition today, and even though a lot of the other people are friends and acquaintances going back a quarter-century, there won't be any horseplay there. Different groups, different standards.
Didn't you just post about how you and your group all have COVID? Is this the best time to be going to a competition?

Greg K

Legend
Oh I understand totally, its just the people in our group are near neolithic at times. A player once cleared the room sending everyone running for their lives. After we came back over 5 minutes later it was still there, that thing had massive hang time. Im convinced they had a stinking cloud spell memorized that day.
I had a player clear everyone out from the bathroom in the back of an apartment and behind two doors. At the first hint, the rest of opened the big window next to the dining room table at which we were playing. Within a few moments, we were all outside. Eventually, he found us outside and thought we were being overly dramatic. He went back inside and then came running out gasping for air. That was the second of three times that player cleared everyone out not including the one time at Jack in the Box

Greg K

Legend
Different strokes. My group are all former athletes, ex-military, and generally are used to active pursuits, and they need a bit more supervision..
My (former) longtime group had three ex-military (an MP and two former marines), a former gymnast, and two others (a gym rat and a former military brat). Three of those people studied martial arts to various degrees. One was a green belt in TKD, the MP was Kenpo brown belt, and the military brat had just completed testing for the rank below instructor in Kung Fu (iirc a 5 Family based system), Parker Kenpo, and Lima Lama. None of the players ever needed "supervision".

Last edited:

My (former) longtime group had three ex-military (an MP and two former marines), a former gymnast, and two others (a gym rat and a former military brat). Three of those people studied martial arts to various degrees. One was a green belt in TKD, the MP was Kenpo brown belt, and the military brat had just completed testing for the rank below instructor in Kung Fu (iirc a 5 Family based system), Parker Kenpo, and Lima Lama. None of the players ever needed "supervision".

Mine don't need supervision either. I just don't allow slapfights at the table.

Ace

Adventurer
Right now all I need is "Don't be a jerk." and barely that but I haven't always been so lucky.

My longer rules are

Rule Zero. -- Don't be a jerk. Its a fun forward game, go for it

1-Real life comes first.

2- Don't come sick, period. Even if COVID 19 goes away nobody wants your cold. If its not a contagious illness fine but take care of yourself. If you don't have your health you don't have anything.

3- If you are going to be late please let me know.

4- If you have other plans, let me known in advance. I have board games and alternates.

5-No drugs even legal ones other than caffeine or obviously prescription drugs That includes booze, tobacco and marijuana which is legal where I am.

6-Leave your cellphone on vibrate and don't take non emergency/work calls unless you planned them in advance.

7-Don't abuse devices or stare into your phone if you are bored. Tell me when you get a chance.

8-Don't take away other players fun.

9-I almost always have game legal ways to handle rolls that would take away your fun, no need to cheat. never cheat to screw over another player. I'll kick someone out for this.

10-No sexual content beyond fade to black or rated G without 100% agreement from everybody. Graphic SVU stuff is never ever on the table.

11- PC's are never going to subjected to sexual violence period. I won't allow it my table or play in games that do.

12- There is a morals clause. Anyone any NPC a PC "does the deed" with will be a consenting adult of at least 18, no exceptions.

13- Don't be a-hole evil. Its not really fun for other people.

14- Violence is PG13 or so though there can be exceptions with player agreement and in some genres.

15- If you have allergies, triggers, extreme dislikes let me know but don't be offended if ask you not to play in this game if your needs are too disruptive to the rest of the group. Its not you just a greater good of the group issue and I may want you in a different game.

16- My game, my rulings. I'll listen but if I decide on something after, it stands.

17- Show decent social skills and cleanliness or go game elsewhere. Anyone neurodivergent or not can manage the basics, no excuses.

18- In game politics, racism and horrible things happen sometimes and are fine Just remember its not real and if you can't keep it separate or it hurts other players , don't go there.

19- Thick skins are required but no racism , religious bigotry, women issues, class warfare or issues with homosexuality at my game table.

20- We are all gamers here. A tiny group of people united by our odd hobby . When you can be excellent to one another

21 I will try and communicate to you what the game is about. If it isn't something that actually interests you, game too deadly, system you hate whatever just say no. I am fine with that. I am also fine if you give it a few tries and decide its not working out. Feel free to try another game.

22- Don't just show up because you are bored. Be in the game or don't come.

23- Please participate, If you need help doing that from shyness or being new to gaming. Ask someone. I or someone will gladly help you.

24 - Don't be a creeper and this includes gamer girls who I've seen do it to.

25- Don't bring agro , bad conduct or people in trouble with the law to the table, If you have to report to somebody for felony conduct or worse are on a sex offender registry, you are not welcome.

26- No under 18's at the table without parents present. We are not baby sitting service.

27- Try and come prepared, dice, paper, pencil and where possible knowledge of the rules. I normally don't use minis but feel free to bring them.

28- I'm old school, feel free to use a tablet but I don't use them, I also don't use cloud or online services other than E Mail or maybe a blog no need to ask.

29 - Eat before you come unless we are going to eat at the table, after or food is provided and bring what you need. Hungry gaming is bad gaming.

30- Try and work out transportation first. Its fine to carpool, I do it often but don't put people out.

31- Also I always try to be fair. Feel free to politely point it out if I am not and I need to fix things. Its always my call though.

32- Don't let OOC chatter disrupt the game. The chatter is part of the fun but know when to turn it off and get back to the game at hand.

33- No weapons at the table other than pocket knives that can be legally concealed or if a police officer or the like, off duty weapons.

Last edited:

It has been a while since I needed to have explicit rules, but one that has been restated a few times through the years has been somewhere along the lines of, "Take it outside."

Smoke? Take it outside.

Mad or upset about something? Take it outside.

Need to take a phone call? Take it outside.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
It has been a while since I needed to have explicit rules, but one that has been restated a few times through the years has been somewhere along the lines of, "Take it outside."

Smoke? Take it outside.

Mad or upset about something? Take it outside.

Need to take a phone call? Take it outside.

Need to use the bathroom?

Remove ads