• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are your thoughts on ANIME's influence on D&D?

What are your thoughts on ANIME's influence on D&D?

• Poll closed .

Seeten

First Post
I think genre has something to offer, and I am glad it exists. Sometimes I want LOTR style high fantasy, sometimes I want to be able to jump 20 feet in the air, and swing a 9 foot sword.

I'm also in my mid 30's, so if I can enjoy many things, and tolerate more, I dont understand all the hate. Its like saying, "I like pop, and rock, but I hate country and rap and with all those country and rap artists would stop making records." Why would you want that? Don't other peoples tastes count at all?

senodam

First Post
Isn't this like asking about the influence of cinema, books or comics on D&D?

Anime is a medium, not a genre and hasn't had any particular influence on D&D that I can discern. If I did want to game in an 'anime style', assuming for a moment that there is such a thing, then I'd go with BESM or Anima: Beyond Fantasy.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Korgoth said:
(1) Cult of Youth - everybody assumes that your 15-year old girl should be able to be a ninja/swordmaster/olympic gymnast, or maybe also a wizard and ranger if she's so long in the tooth as to be 17 years old (practically out to pasture!). If you haven't made Epic by the time you're 19 you're probably an NPC.

Agree here, I've never liked the fact so much anime involves characters who are just too damned young. they haven't had Time to become that skilled. Luckily most of the people I play with figure starting characters should at least be about mid-way between adulthood and middle age(human equivalent mid-twenties at least).

Korgoth said:
(2) Soap Opera - so the teenaged girl with Death Star-level psychic powers and the teenaged ninja/swordmaster/gymnast girl are having an affair, but the teenaged ninja/swordmaster/wizard boy likes the psychic girl, and how can he compete with Ai for Noriko's favor because he's only a wizard and not a gymnast, and maybe if he buys her roses in the next town blah blah blah. None of which has anything to do with exploring the Mad Wizard's dungeon. Unless someone casts Power Word Angst.

Thank you but NO. This is the second big disagreement with much anime. I'm sick of angst, too much :):):):):):):) angst already. I blame this on some element of Japanese youth culture I wish could be exterminated totally. If you want angst go play Vampire.

Korgoth said:
(3) Attitude - I have the suspicion that anime is partly behind the "Dungeonpunk" style of 3E. Obviously nobody can be a hero without asymmetrical spikey bondage clothes and wacky hair. These things are almost as important as being a teenager and having pointless angst.

Now this I don't see anything wrong with, adventurers are freaky-wierd people, if they look odd it's pretty in character. Not nearly as wierd as half-dragons, or any number of strange races or templates that regularly feature in my campaigns.

Shroomy

Adventurer
I think the influence of anime on modern D&D is overstated (I voted "neutral"). The primary influences of 3.5e are earlier editions of D&D (and other RPGs).

Kae'Yoss

First Post
You're referring to the half-farspawn template, who gets two hentacle attacks, right? Something must come from all those demons with the curiously-shaped tentacles violating those schoolgirls. :heh:

Other than that, I'll keep playing D&D until you have to call the names of the spells you cast or feats to use. :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads