• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are your thoughts on ANIME's influence on D&D?

What are your thoughts on ANIME's influence on D&D?

• Poll closed .

GMSkarka

Explorer
senodam said:
Isn't this like asking about the influence of cinema, books or comics on D&D?

Anime is a medium, not a genre and hasn't had any particular influence on D&D that I can discern.

Quoted for Truth.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
I don't really understand the notion of "anime is influencing D&D". To me that means as much as saying "the art of D&D has become more comic bookish".

There are so many animes out there, much as there are different styles of comics, so the theory:) that D&D has gone all anime never made any sense to me. It seems more often to be used like a short hand for "I don't like it so I'll call it something else which I don't like either".

/M

Dog Moon

Adventurer
senodam said:
Isn't this like asking about the influence of cinema, books or comics on D&D?

This is exactly like what I was thinking. My answer was going to be 'it totally depends on the type and genre of anime.' There are some animes which I think could translate fairly well into dnd or at least be able to add many ideas into the game, but on the other hand, there are too many animes which I think would detract from the game at the same time.

Anime has influenced me personally by giving me some ideas such as plotlines, character ideas, and battle locations as well as give me a better ability to picture [if not describe well] the actions of my characters, especially my 15 year old girl Swordsage [wasn't originally thinking of anime, but it didn't take long for the comparison to arrive within my group].

Some of the animes also have interesting magic system variants which could possibly create interesting classes/variant classes for the game.

Personally, I think I would like anime to influence dnd perhaps a little more, but as with all inspirations, people need to be careful in what they take from the shows.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Extremely desirable to me.

Anime more than any other medium inherited the mantle of pulp sword and sorcery that was the kind of fantasy I once liked. It infused it with a new visual style and incorporated a lot of other interesting elements, but the core of anime fantasy is much closer to what I like than the core of D&D fantasy.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
For me: Desireable. Why? Because of two reasons:
1) I only like *good* anime. And I'm using the same standards as for normal movies.
2) I always like media influence, because many directors know what makes a story good. I heavily borrow these good tidbits of ideas.

Only thing that leaves me curious: Why is anime singled-out for such questions? Because it is animated?

Ealli

First Post
Lord Tirian said:
For me: Desireable. Why? Because of two reasons:
1) I only like *good* anime. And I'm using the same standards as for normal movies.
2) I always like media influence, because many directors know what makes a story good. I heavily borrow these good tidbits of ideas.

Only thing that leaves me curious: Why is anime singled-out for such questions? Because it is animated?
There's a couple reasons. Some of it is backlash against the popularity of anime. Some of it is that anime is a broad genre and has elements that doesn't get animated (often) in Western media; pick on that portion and decry the entire genre. And animation is also (often) viewed as being immature in the West.

There is good anime and there is bad anime. I can't think of any particular anime influences in any of the games I've run, but I have no objection to it if done in moderation.

rudie

First Post
first off, I would like to say hi! this is my first post..

anyway, I don't think anime has influenced DnD as much as it has the players. I want to die every time a new player asks if he can have a katana, and if the katana can be "huge sized". Or if rage is like going super sayen..or however the hell you spell it.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
rudie said:
fI want to die every time a new player asks if he can have a katana, and if the katana can be "huge sized".

I thought this was symptomatic of playing certain video games (rather than watching anime).

-- N

Aus_Snow

First Post
As far as I am concerned, any player, GM or publisher who tries to bring anime to RPG sessions (that I am involved in) in any way, shape or form. . . is not welcome, let's just say.

My thoughts on its influence on D&D? Well luckily, there isn't any. Or if there is, it's miniscule and thoroughly avoidable.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads