D&D 5E What awesome thing happened in your game recently?

PnPgamer

Explorer
My wild sorcerer exploded as a fireball... Twice on the same combat (on turns 1 and 3). I was appreciated by my party members because:
Both of them went down
I completely annihilated the loot
I completely disintegrated the badguy wizard
I didnt hit all the zombies and the 3 that was left started chasing me around while i couldnt do anything to them.

I almost exploded twice in a row at the end of the phandelver mines. Wild surge rols were 06 and 09 (fireball comes in 07 or 08) i call my green percentiles now my fireball dice.

Also on a sidenote at the end of the campaign my character was blue and had triple the featherbeard.

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
The all-newbs party killed a half-dragon and 2 berserkers... and it came down to the sorcerer versus the last berserker, mano-a-mano. The sorcerer killed him after a couple rounds of mutual miss.

Earlier in that same fight, the Gnome stood on a box and kept egging on the berserker... who kept missing.

My dice weren't that hot... but of 5 players, only one character hadn't been dropped in that battle. And one had been dropped twice. They did force the monsters to climb the slide, tho'.

They cheered each other's successes. They chanted for PC's death saves. They felt heroic. And they all made 3rd level...

Fanaelialae

Legend
Recently the party, which at the time consisted of a druid, a rogue and a pair of warrior henchmen, was tracking down a band of undead looking for a dracolich's phylactery in the woods the druid was sworn to protect. They tracked them to the ruins of an ancient dragon cult where the party fought their way inside and descended into the bone pit below.

There they found a strange undead man standing near the back of the room (a revenant), a ghostly dragon (advanced ghost with a white dragon's breath attack), as well as several ghouls and ogre zombies. The players were nervously watching the revenant, not sure what to make of him and expecting that he'd turn out to be the true boss of the fight. As the battle started the PCs engaged the enemies, and the revenant did something that surprised them - he ran for the stairs. Even though the other party members were hard pressed, the druid decided to cast Entangle on the revenant, and he surprisingly failed his save. For the next six rounds, the revenant would improbably continue failing his saving throws against Entangle.

By this point the ghost dragon had been felled and only a few zombies remained. The revenant called out to his master and more zombies began climbing out of the bone pit, engaging the PCs and trying to keep them from the revenant. The rogue wasn't having it, and she danced past the zombies only to be stopped short by the revenant's vengeful glare. One of the henchmen fell to the zombies, and they moved up to try to break the druid's concentration. It was about this time that the revenant finally saved against Entangle. He began to move up the stairs but the rogue had saved against the paralysis and used an elemental gem to summon an earth elemental, which blocked the revenant's path. The revenant pummeled the elemental, though it inflicted good damage on him as well.

Only two or three zombies were still shambling, but the party was running on fumes as well. The rogue, unable to approach the revenant due to being frightened, chugged a few healing potions and used the last charge from her Bag of Tricks, unfortunately only summoning a rat. That rat would prove surprisingly useful in a few rounds when it crit the last remaining zombie, taking it down.

The remaining henchman was paralyzed by vengeful glare, the druid was fighting a losing battle with the revenant, and the rogue finally made her save to shrug off frightened. The revenant retreated to the upper temple and seemed to be about to get away when the rogue caught up to him. He swung at her, but missed twice. And with that, they managed to down him.

That encounter was set up with the possibility that they could stop the revenant, but I never actually expected them to pull it off. It was a deadly fight even without the revenant, and his goal was simply to get away with the phylactery intact. The players set their minds to it and pulled it off, despite that several times a TPK seemed imminent. And now the lich who sent the revenant has a reason to take a special interest in the PCs! :)

Hathorym

Explorer
My PCs discovered that one of their own had been betraying them to the Avatar of Shadows for the last six months. They were getting frustrated about feeling like their enemies were always a step ahead, and they finally figured out why. Of course, they were left trapped in an extraplanar vault as the cliffhanger season finale, but hey, we've all got problems.

Rhenny

Adventurer
(SPOILER ALERT - HoDQ)

In our Hoard of the Dragon Queen campaign last Thursday, a new player joined. She was a human sorcerer who had been captured by kobolds/Dragon cultists so our party liberated her from bondage. Then, we needed to find a place to rest for the night, so we left the caves we were in to go to another cave we had found earlier that was outside the main cave complex we were exploring (The Hatchery). Valleja, the human sorcerer, refused to spend the night in a small cave with a bunch of adventurers she barely knew. My character, a human tempest cleric of Silvanus (raised by Elves), spoke with her and convinced her to let us sleep in the cave. I promised to protect her and also told her that when we got back to civilization I'd pay for her room in an inn. We conducted a few minutes of authentic roleplaying and she agreed to let us sleep. Of course, she stayed up all night because she was uncomfortable, but at least the rest of the party got a refreshing night's rest.

Then we went back into the hatchery and eventually encountered Cyanwrath the Half Dragon who had already defeated our Dwarven Fighter. Since the Dwarven Fighter, Brevick, was leading us down the stairway tunnel, he was the first to see the Half-Dragon. Although we could not see Brevick or what he had seen, we did hear him shout his Dwarven battle cry. When we got down there, we saw him engaged with Cyanwrath while 3 berserkers watched the show. The entire battle erupted into a very deadly encounter. In the end, we prevailed and had our revenge, but when the rogue opened a chest acid rained on us and caused the room to fill up with poison gas. Only 3 of the 6 of us were left standing. We dragged the unconscious ones out of the room and I was able to use my prayer of healing to get us up on our feet again.

Very exciting near TPK.

Riley37

First Post
The DM had some Adventurer's League certificates for magic items. One of them was printed as VOID. WotC prints those as sort of like a pre-voided check... but the party's warlock, with Great Old One patron called dibs on the VOID, rather than any of the other certificates in the pile (that is, the ones which had actual printed magic item descriptions).

Excellent roleplaying, and I'm rewarding it. His Patron has enabled him to attune the VOID magic item. It has zero height, width, depth and mass. When it's equipped, the warlock sees everything through a warp in space-time, giving WIS 19 and Advantage on Perception checks to spot any interplanar or extraplanar events. (It allows the Patron to look through the warlock's eyes - and the Patron sometimes spots details which the Warlock would otherwise miss.) It can also serve as a DM exposition/foreshadowing device; for example, the warlock might feel a great disturbance, as if thousands of sentients had screamed and then been suddenly silenced.

Winterfell

First Post
About four sessions back a Sorc and my Rogue-self decided to pledge ourselves to King Witchthorn (an Arch Fey) to complete a task (given in secret to us without the knowledge of the other members of the party) he needed in order to gain some protection against a large dragon residing in some nearby woods. King Witchthorn did as he promised and gave protection later in session allowing our entire group to survive the attack of the dragon and in turn pushing it from the woods.

The task ended up being that we had to go retrieve two young pegasi that were currently being held by the Emerald Enclave whereabouts unknown. The Emerald Enclave is actually looking for our group because the Tiefling Sorc I am pledged with is kind of a pyromaniac (carrying around a Wand of Phantasmal Fireballs she loves to use to keep from setting too many real fires) and has been setting fires throughout the forest during various encounters. The two of us convinced our party to help with this task.

Following various leads to track down the Pegasi, we came across a village that was decimated by a large force of Orcs. We continued down that trail and saw a large Orc encampment as they prepared to siege the Emerald Enclave compound. Our party containing (Teifling Sorc / Half-Orc Ranger / Half-Elf Rogue / Human Fighter / Drow Warlock) parked it behind a hill out of site of both parties, when our Half-Orc Ranger piped up that he wanted to go parlay with the Orcs. There is no way a half-elf, human, and drow would have been viewed favorably by those Orcs so we do what you should never do and...split the party. Half-Orc and Tiefling wander over the hill and the Half-Orc is able to talk themselves out of being killed straight out, but was being viewed extremely skeptically by the camp.

During that time the Elven Emerald Enclave scouting party came across the three of us remaining and I was able to talk them into speaking with their leader (no recognition thanks to previous disguise by the Warlock and myself and the fighter never having been involved with the Enclave fights. We got into the compound and approached the leader who was partially distracted giving positioning orders to the troops on the wooden palisade walls and gates. Leader began to grill about why the hell we were near the Orcs...and was looking none-to-happy.

While that was occuring, the Orc leader was tired of being talked to and ordered the two party members to provide an "act of faith" to prove their worthiness or die. The Sorc jumped at the chance and ran out to no-mans-land figuring she can lob a phantasmal fireball over the gate and make a good show of things...but a funny thing happened when the player tried doing math on the fly. Not calculating the distance she wanted correctly, she pulled up too soon, screams and launched the fireball...

**dice is rolled...to the utter shock of both the DM and the players around the table...crit fail of 1...that is no longer a phantasmal fireball but instead a live nuke headed directly for the gate***

...the entire gate area explodes with wood, elves, dirt being launched into the air by the blast. The party members on the inside being pelted by debris of wood and elven body parts.

In disbelief the Orcs all turned to her and began chanting "Ghash Mog" (Fire Voice) and use this as their battle cry as the siege then turned into an assault as the horde rushed to the gap. Without character knowledge, our party was now in a fight for their lives versus each other.

Just another fun session.

Riley37

First Post
the Orcs all turned to her and began chanting "Ghash Mog" (Fire Voice)

There's silly chaotic comedy of incompetence, and then there's chaos *with accurate LotR Orcish vocabulary*, and somehow that's what makes the difference for me between ridiculous and awesome.

Winterfell

First Post
There's silly chaotic comedy of incompetence, and then there's chaos *with accurate LotR Orcish vocabulary*, and somehow that's what makes the difference for me between ridiculous and awesome.

So often does our group find ourselves walking this very line...session after session after session.

Remove ads