• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What book should I read now?

Velenne

Explorer
While I wait for GRRM's Feast of Crows, I wanted to pick up a good book to keep my creative juices flowing as I've just started DM'ing a brand new campaign!

My favorite books/series are (in no particular order):

Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan
The Dark Tower by Stephen King
Exies by Melanie Rawn
A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin
Lord of the Rings by .... well you know....

I'd like to stay away from broody horror, sci fi, and any romance novel disguised as a fantasy series. ;)

So, any advice on a bandwagon I can jump on?

manofsteel1303

First Post
I would definitely suggest for a beginning DM to read some of the Forgotten Realms series. There are tons of books in this world, but don't worry, you don't have to read all of them. I would suggest that you start out with an author named R.A. Salvatore and the Drizzt Do'Urden series. These are some really great books and they might give you a few ideas for your gaming. I'd start with the Homeland Trilogy in the Drizzt series. If you're not interested, keep posting. I know a lot of books out there.

Hackenslash

First Post
I would definitely recommend......

Hiya,

I would recomend anything written by David Gemmell, particularly his Drenai Tales series and his Sipstrassi Tales series of books. His books are fantasy but gritty, realistic low magic and well written. His character protrayals are unique and full of life, and his heros and villains have great backgrounds and develop brilliantly through out the books. There is not one David Gemmell book that I have not fully enjoyed and re-read several times. His first book was a Drenai Novell called "Legend" about an awesome but aging warrior called Druss who has to defend an undermanned fortress against a ravageing barbarian horde. It explores the determination against all odds concept and gives the reader an insight into the fear and courage required to with stand a seige of awe inspiring proportions. Rivetting and action packed stuff.. Hope this helps......:)

Dhevan

First Post
There is a series that I enjoyed as much as the George RR Martin series, but for different reasons. The first book is called "Gardens of the Moon" by Steven Erikson. It starts off quite good, and each book only gets better (the third is absolutly fantastic).

It's a combination high magic fantasy and war story, following the remenants of a squad called the "bridgeburners".

One warning is that the author doesn't spend much time explaining things. He get around to it eventually, but for the meanwhile you just have to accept some strange occurances without explaination.

I highly recomend it, especially for those waiting for the next installment of the Songs of Fire and Ice.

-Dhevan

Velenne

Explorer
Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions folks.

For the record, I've DM'ed many many times but is simply the beginning of a new campaign for me.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Robert E. Howard is the King of Pulp Swords and Sorcery. Dig up his first Conan book and you'll be hooked. If you haven't read any of his stuff, I think you'll not only find it a real treat but you'll also get a bit of an education on how those other authors (except Tolkein, of course) got their start. Here's a cool bio on Howard's very short and tragic life-

http://www.rehupa.com/short_bio.htm

It's amazing how much he wrote before he passed...

Tsyr

Explorer
Try the Deryini books, by, um... Katherine Kurtz, or something like that. Name is eluding me, I think. Start with Deryini Rising, and go from there.

Darius101

First Post
I really enjoy the books about Gotrek and Felix by William King published by the Black Library.

There are also a few oter novels that are good reads like the Wine Of Dreams and The Hammer of Ulric.

For some good Scifi Space Wolf series was good as well.

The Elric books by Michael Moorecock are also good fun.
As far as the D&D stuff the forgotten realms books are pretty good.

Enjoy,
Darius

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
Tsyr said:
Try the Deryini books, by, um... Katherine Kurtz, or something like that. Name is eluding me, I think. Start with Deryini Rising, and go from there.

hey, you know we have a pretty active Katherine Kurtz channel on the chat server. Katherine actually hangs out there on a fairly regular basis.

E-mail me if you want directions on getting there :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads