D&D 5E What Book -- WotC or 3rd Party -- Has the Best Hexcrawl Support

Reynard

Legend
EDIT: Please don't just suggest OSR stuff. I am asking about 5E stuff for a reason.

In your opinion, which book for 5E -- official WotC, DMsGuild or 3rd Party -- has the best, most accessible, most comprehensive support (including rules, tables, advice, etc...) for running sandboxes and hex crawls?

Please give me more than a name. Give me you experiences with the book and why you think it is best. Thanks!

PS: I own HexBox, which is okay...

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
Not 5e but I’m thinking of running it and stealing rules from it. Ultra Violet Grasslands.

theCourier

Adventurer
Maybe try using Hexcrawl Basics? It's billed as for Old School Essentials but I think you could totally use it for other systems and it goes into detail on a lot of the minutiae of Hexcrawling. Not too long a read, either.

Reynard

Legend
Does it have to be specific to 5e, or are system-agnostic resources OK?
I asked for 5E because I don't want to have to do a bunch of conversion in the process. For example, the PF2 stuff is pretty solid but the design space around skills and DCs is different enough it is kind of a pain.

A point of clarity: I am not asking to learn how to do a hexcrawl. I know how to do that. I am looking for tools to build one in 5E with minimal fuss.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I asked for 5E because I don't want to have to do a bunch of conversion in the process. For example, the PF2 stuff is pretty solid but the design space around skills and DCs is different enough it is kind of a pain.

A point of clarity: I am not asking to learn how to do a hexcrawl. I know how to do that. I am looking for tools to build one in 5E with minimal fuss.
Hmm. Most hexcrawl stuff I've seen doesn't seem to focus on mechanics, it's more tables with a bunch of hooks and ideas to generate stuff on the fly. (I'm thinking Worlds Without Number here, specifically, which I'm using to populate my Dark Sun hexcrawl.)

Hexcrawl tools that actually give mechanical implementations for items in the hex I'm not as familiar with.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
EDIT: Please don't just suggest OSR stuff. I am asking about 5E stuff for a reason.

In your opinion, which book for 5E -- official WotC, DMsGuild or 3rd Party -- has the best, most accessible, most comprehensive support (including rules, tables, advice, etc...) for running sandboxes and hex crawls?

Please give me more than a name. Give me you experiences with the book and why you think it is best. Thanks!

PS: I own HexBox, which is okay...
Can you tell us what your ideal hexcrawl ruleset would include?

Remove ads