What book would you like to see become a movie/mini-series?

Richards

Legend
I'll add Gene Wolfe's "Torturer" series of novels, in which he explores the Earth of some 5 million years hence, when civilization has fallen and risen again countless times, and there are now aliens from other worlds comingling with the native life. It stars a young torturer - excuse me, "Member of the Seekers of Truth and Penitence" - who gets kicked out of his guild after smuggling a knife to a torture victim he's fallen for that allows her to kill herself and becomes a journeyman executioner. The series is basically him traveling this strange world and running into all different types of people, showing a broad range of cultures (and the odd alien creature or two, most of whom are trying to kill him).

Johnathan

I'll add Gene Wolfe's "Torturer" series of novels, in which he explores the Earth of some 5 million years hence, when civilization has fallen and risen again countless times, and there are now aliens from other worlds comingling with the native life. It stars a young torturer - excuse me, "Member of the Seekers of Truth and Penitence" - who gets kicked out of his guild after smuggling a knife to a torture victim he's fallen for that allows her to kill herself and becomes a journeyman executioner. The series is basically him traveling this strange world and running into all different types of people, showing a broad range of cultures (and the odd alien creature or two, most of whom are trying to kill him).

Johnathan
Presumably you mean the Book of the New Sun? I've never seen it referred to as the "Torturer" series before (although that might just be me).

It would work well as a travelogue, but I think most of the nuance would be missed in a TV show. Although, since Gene Wolf, is way too clever for me, I miss most of the nuance when I read the books as well!

And it seems like nobody wants to "spoil" them by explaining everything. At this stage I'd happily have it all "spoiled" - I suspect the real reason is nobody will risk finding out if their theories are the same as everyone else's.

A faithful Earthsea TV series would be amazing. Heck, I'd even settle for just "not changed to be diametrically opposed to LeGuin's vision."

The Earthsea Trilogy. (No, the miniseries from 2004 does not count.)

And I'll pre-emptively say the remaining Sandman books, assuming Netflix pulls its usual move and cancels after one season.

Edit: Never mind, I was wrong. Sandman season 2 was just greenlit! Can't wait to see it.

A proper Neuromancer adaptation would be amazing. That being said, I wonder if the time for it has passed. If it would suffer the same fate as John Carter, where the source of so many sci-fi tropes looked derivative because of all the movies that had come out drawing inspiration from it.

At the same time, a lot of the deeper messages and themes are more relevant than ever, so maybe not?

• William Gibsons Neuromancer trilogy

Remove ads