• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What books from previous editions do you tend to mine for material?

aco175

Legend
I recently got a chance to pull out the box set of Waterdeep. I even had the space to lay out all 12 maps to get the scale of the city. I know that 5e Waterdeep is slightly different than 2e, but I haven't got to use it in over 25 years.

Cyvris

First Post
3e-Tome of Battle: I'm mining it for Martial options. I think a combination of its Maneuver/Classes could be made into a cool series of subclasses, possibly even shared between various classes. Crusader as a sub-class for Paladin is easy enough, Warblade goes to Fighter, and maybe Swordsage as a shared Rogue/Ranger. Shrug, it's something in the back of my mind at any rate.

4e-I'm currently mining it for all it's worth. Playing with lots of mechanics ideas to spice up 5e, including some form of "Encounter" spell casting. It'll probably end up looking like "Spell does half damage, on failed Saving Throw it does no damage, effect persists until the start of your next turn" or similar. Also working to bring back more options for Martial characters from it, as well as the four defenses and marking.

pkt77242

Explorer
Setting books are great.

I have been using the PF Green Ronin Freeport: City of Adventure
PF Magnimar City of Monuments.

Also the PF Castles of the Inner Sea would be great to use.

Xeviat

Hero
I still use Unearthed Arcana, deities and demigods, manual of the planes, heroes of horror, heroes of battle, and the frost burn, sand storm, and the water one (brain fart) from 3rd edition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reelo

Hero
3E FRCS book (oh how I wished the SCAG was as big/detailed) as well as the "Silver Marches" book. Mainly for fluff, as well as weather/nature/wandering monster related info. Iirc I also have the Faiths and Pantheons book, but it's at my pare ts' house still.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Luciandevine

First Post
One of my favorite books of all time, hands down, is Quintessential Fighter. It is a 3rd edition Mongoose supplement, and thus always required GM approval, but as long as I held back and kept things balanced, he usually let me use it.

Yaztromo

Explorer
Actually, it looks to me that WotC is sometimes doing exactly the same as you: mining material from previous editions for their 5e publications!:D

jimmytheccomic

First Post
Fourth Edition Plane Above, Plane Below, and Underdark. (My favorite sourcebooks ever written, they're all so compelling and just jam packed with adventure hooks.)

Remove ads