What books unrelated to TTRPGs are the most useful to you for TTRPGs?

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
So, putting aside official RPG products, 3rd party products or anything directly related to TTRPGs; what are some books that you read in the past or still use as reference that had a positive impact on your TTRPGs experience? It can be fiction for inspiration, non-fiction books related to game design, game theory, history, psychology, etc. It can be for making characters, or roleplaying them or preparing a campaign or even designing content. Anything goes, the weirder the more interesting!

I'll list some of mine:

Architecture: Form, Space and Order - Francis D.K Ching
A classic architecture book. When I started in the video games industry I had to do some level design, which I had never put much time into. I figured architecture would be a good side-topic book to get help me. It's been one of my reference book both for level design in video games, building dungeons or environment in TTRPGs and anything related to space honestly.

A Distant Mirror - Barbara W. Tuchman
I unfortunately didn't get to finish it (about 75% in) but I look forward to starting it over. A very unique account of a character of the middle ages that lived through many of the different lives/events that you could in the middle ages. It's a refreshing read compared to most non-fiction. Very original structure for an history book.

Les Misérables dans l'Occident Médiéval - Jean-Louis Goglin
In french, my mother tongue. I have no idea if it's available in english. It's a marvelous little book that focuses on societal groups of the middle ages that lived on the fringes. The forgotten ones. Those affected by famines, epidemic, war, etc. It's been an interesting read and allowed me to bring new topics and concepts to my game which generally have a darker tone.

The Kalevala - Elias Lönnrot

Everyone knows mythology is perhaps the greatest source of inspiration. However, some mythologies have been done to death. The Kalevala is a Finnish epic and classic literature. I never read it from start to finish, but I've stolen so many ideas and names from this. And very few people recognize them, don't even need to reskin them!

English Frisian Topic Dictionary - Jessy Gonzales

Conlangs, naming languages and real languages are one of my most used tool when worldbuilding. It makes things feel real to me and the process of creating names makes me remember them. I use several tools for that, but topical dictionaries are some of the ones I use the most. I own several and this one is just one of my most recent purchases. Frisian is one of the languages that's closest to english, and yet it has something alien to it. It has given some nice flavor to my last worldbuilding project.

Primal Branding - Patrick Hanlon
A marketing book I purchased for work-related reasons last year. I haven't finished it, but everytime I finished a chapter it gave me ideas. It approaches marketing and marketing from a primal and sense of belonging aspect. It touches on psychology, us vs them and other stuff like that. I referenced it when creating factions, groups, cults, etc. Looking forward to reading the last third.

I have a ton more, but that's a good first selection.

aramis erak

Legend
So, putting aside official RPG products, 3rd party products or anything directly related to TTRPGs; what are some books that you read in the past or still use as reference that had a positive impact on your TTRPGs experience? It can be fiction for inspiration, non-fiction books related to game design, game theory, history, psychology, etc. It can be for making characters, or roleplaying them or preparing a campaign or even designing content. Anything goes, the weirder the more interesting!
Perry's Chemical Engineer's Manual
AAA Road Atlas
AC Fox-Davies' The Art of Heraldry
TRS-80 Programmer's manual. (Taught me to code, which, when combined with a stats class, has been really useful)

sgtnasty

Explorer
Les Misérables dans l'Occident Médiéval - Jean-Louis Goglin
In french, my mother tongue. I have no idea if it's available in english. It's a marvelous little book that focuses on societal groups of the middle ages that lived on the fringes. The forgotten ones. Those affected by famines, epidemic, war, etc. It's been an interesting read and allowed me to bring new topics and concepts to my game which generally have a darker tone.
I can't find an English translation of this one, would really like to read it.

Nytmare

David Jose
The Hero's Journey by Joseph Campbell

Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond

Truth in Comedy by Charna Halpern, Del Close, and Kim Johnson

Start With Why by Simon Sinek

Hamlet's Hit Points by Robin Laws

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'm kind of cheating here (well, there's not really a "kind of" about it), but the following are history primers that, while intended to serve as useful backdrops for role-playing games, don't actually present themselves as being campaign-focused in what they present. They work just as well as introductions to the times and places they cover:

Lisa J. Steele, Fief: A Look at Medieval Society from its Lower Rungs.

Lisa J. Steele, Town: A City-Dweller's Look at the 13th to 15th Century Europe.

Tadashi Ehara, Gamers Guide to Feudal Japan: Daimyo of 1867.

Tadashi Ehara, Gamers Guide to Feudal Japan: Samurai & Daimyo.

Plus, some actual history books:

Jonathan Moore, Hung, Drawn, and Quartered: the story of execution through the ages.

Hunt Janin, Medieval Justice: Cases and Laws in France, England and Germany, 500-1500.

Paul B. Newman, Growing Up in the Middle Ages.

Jared Diamond, Guns, Germs & Steel.

Please note my use of affiliate links in this post.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Various books about weather (real-life interest translated to the game)

Various fantasy novels (duh!) :)

Basic primer books on real-world historical cultures e.g. Roman, Greek, Norse, etc.

And though not exactly books: marine charts can be very useful as instant maps; just tell people to ignore all the names of things.

R_J_K75

Legend
Various books about weather (real-life interest translated to the game)
One thing that always perplexed me was how rainfall is measured. I remember reading the FR boxed set the Lands of Intrigue and IDR whether it was the Amn or Tethyr book but they said country "X" receives "Y" inches of rainfall a year. How exactly is that measured? Put a graduated cylinder during any given rainfall and its likely to fill up. I've looked it up and still don't get it. Can you explain it?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases