What campaigns have you started that didn't work out (and not for bait & switch-issues)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I had one Mutants & Masterminds campaign that failed for a few reasons, one of the key ones being the way the game handled iterative attacks- the speedster and the guy with the gun didn’t like it.

I had a few that simply fizzled due to disinterest.

And personally, I think I lost a little of my mojo.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Lost some of your mojo? Well, that's no good.

Click here for some Mojo

Johnathan
Was expecting:
1571973925208.jpeg

I actually don't think I've ever had a full-on superhero game last more than a few sessions, but I think there are two sets of reasons for that.

First off, a lot of supers rules-sets, especially older ones, do not work well with the fiction. It's all very well going for a Silver Age style thing and creating appropriate heroes, on paper, but if the rules make it gritty and brutal, or make stunts and swashbuckling a bad idea, or are just tedious, you're dead in the water. The worst offender, for us, was the FUZION based Champions: The New Era game, wherein a 4 vs 6 supers/villains battle, which took under three minutes of in-game time took 5+ hours to actually run (Marvel FASERIP would have done it in about 45 minutes, tops), because of the sheer complexity of the systems, analysis paralysis and multiple actions. So after the players had all made great PCs with cool backstories, we foreswore that system forever by mutual agreement.

Second off, my experience is that my players love playing supers for a session or three, but after that, they are satiated with the concept and there's often some "That was cool but when are we going to play [insert usual RPG] again?". Such was the fate of the otherwise-excellent MSHAG - the card-based Marvel Superheroes Action Game. Three great sessions but I think the lack of real advancement or loot made people feel less attached. And I think, again, a lot of supers systems have XP/advancement that feels very slow compared to stuff like D&D, which is fine but contributes to this.

There have been a lot of unfinished campaigns in many systems over the years but that's usually due to people not being able to make the time and us switching games instead of officially ending the campaign and then never going back.

aramis erak

Legend
Space Gypsies in Traveller... Fail point? Let's see, Players: B¹, C, K, S, B²; C&K broke up 3 weeks in, K left so C could stay. C then was Dating B¹ for a bit. S was always late due to work, B¹ got rescheduled to work on that night, B² moved to middle of nowhere for work, and C both broke up with B¹ and didn't want to be there alone with just me; she didn't drive, so that would have been about an hour 'til S got there.

Shiroiken

Legend
I've had, and seen as a player, many campaigns fail to work out for various reasons. The funniest/sadist one I was a player in ended before the end of the first session. There were 2 power-gamers in the group, and they competed aggressively against each other all the time. To attempt to head this off in a 3E D&D game, the DM had everyone roll in secret, with only him knowing the results, so that no one would know how powerful the other characters were. During the first session, one of the power-gamers was annoyed at how much better the other one was doing, and snuck a peek at his sheet while getting up for a drink. He pitched an epic fit, called the DM a cheater and helping out the other guy, because he'd rolled 18 twice, and got a third with a 17 and a racial bonus. It's important to note that I only game with 1 player from the group anymore (neither power gamer or DM).

My own epic failure of a campaign was so bad it ended friendships. There were 3 players who were very good friends, and they tended to stick together whenever there was tension in the group (two of these were from the group above). The campaign's focus was on a sword that had the spirit of a demon trapped within it, which bonded to a character. The demon could influence the bonded character, but PC caliber characters could resist most of the effects. Before the character could die, they had to pass the sword off to a new bearer. They knew that if the sword ever fell into the hands of an evil person or a weak person, it would take them over and bring forth a prophesied apocalypse, so they kept transferring it among the PCs.

The goal of the campaign was to find a way to kill the demon within the sword, and they eventually learned that 5 NPCs representing the 5 Elements (normal four plus Void) would need to be brought together to do it. The first NPC, however, was immediately disliked by most of the group, including 2 of the 3 players mentioned (the 3rd was the bonded character). Because of this dislike, and betrayal and treachery being a common aspect in the game, the distrusting players began investigating the NPC, including using divination magic. They discovered that she planned to release the demon during the ritual... but their questions never asked why.

They informed the bonded character of their discovery, who was now in a romantic relationship with the NPC. The bonded character immediately went to talk with the NPC alone, because he knew that at this point everyone else would be hostile, and from everything he'd seen, he didn't believe it was true. She admitted it was true, but only because the demon had to be freed before it could be slain. She decided to avoid the party until the group had gathered the other four NPCs, because she didn't want to create animosity. When the bonded character returned and explained everything, they didn't believe any of it, convinced she had an ulterior motive. The discussions became heated, which continued even away from the session since the 3 got together regularly.

They almost came to blows over it, and I simply called the campaign over in an attempt to smooth things over. I didn't want to continue discussing it, but was eventually pressed on the issue. I admitted that yes, the demon did need to be freed to kill it, and yes there was a traitor among the 5 NPCs... but it wasn't the one they'd met (remember, they'd only gotten to ONE of the five NPCs at this point). The 4th NPC was going to turn against the party once it was freed in order to serve the demon, but that was WAY in the future of the campaign. Instead of accepting this, both sides assumed they were correct (the distrustful ones thought I lied to keep the peace, which TBH, I would have done) and the friendships died. They'd still game together, but as no one was willing to back down, they were never close again. They no longer game together, but it's still a sore topic for all three, even though this took place over a decade ago.

werecorpse

Adventurer
Apart from life issues the main reasons for a campaign fizzling have been either it was too sandbox and the players didn’t know what they were meant to do, so got confused about what, if any, story they were participating in or too railroad and the players didn’t care about why they were being made to do what they did.

More the former than the latter.

The balance is important - & swinging back and forth from one to the other isn’t the solution imo.

RobShanti

Explorer
World of Darkness's Wraith the Oblivion warned, in the back of the book, about the "Wraith curse." I didn't believe it....until I lived it. I have never had a Wraith campaign that lasted more than a few sessions, and not for lack of trying. I loved Wraith -- it was my favorite of the WOD games. I started Wraith campaigns whenever I had a willing audience. And I've run some good one-shots or two-shots in Wraith. But the long campaign never worked, because of the "Wraith curse." I think the game does touch on some real visceral issues for people. It's hard to psychologically commit to a game about death.

One campaign in which I was actually a player, not the GM, was about a group of people who died on an airplane. After our first session, an actual airplane crash happened and was broadcast all over the news. We didn't have the heart to continue the game.

In another game I was running, we were off to a good start. The PCs started out alive, but eventually, one-by-one, died, and had to deal with the transition between their former lives and the new phase of their existence. One player lost a relative after about our sixth game or so, and didn't have the heart to continue playing, so the game ended.

Heed ye the "Wraith curse." It is real.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases