• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E What can 5e Give us that Pathfinder doesn't

PF is on some level a great game and a great business, but it fixed almost none of the problems of 3.5.

In fact, the closest thing we've seen to an attempt to improve the game is Trailblazer, but that's a small company that can only go so far.

So a 5e could (I'm not saying would) fix the game's problems and move it into new territory. It could:

*Increase realism and verisimilitude
*Reduce complexity and bookkeeping
*Redice dependency on computers and battlemaps
*Make all character types fun and interesting
*Grant players more narrative control
*Make the game more beginner-friendly and more accessible to non-gamers

It would be miraculous if all those things actually happened, but that's the upside. D&D is not perfect; it can be made better.
I actually did buy trailblazer. And I liked the Ideas. And no surprise, it was a combination of 3rd and 4th edition. Too bad that it was not presented as a whole game. But if I had enoug time and if it was as convenient as 4th edition to run, I would totally do so.
IMHO a much better attempt to fix 3.5 than Pathfinder. But just to inconvenient to use.

kitsune9

Adventurer
The OP's question is a valid question. Essentially, what can 5e provide to anyone who already went and found whatever system they switched too. If 5e is a "back to basics" or becomes modular so that it unifies the systems, essentially, it's stripping it down as a very basic components at its core so it can be used with all editions. However, the OSR folks have that with their retro clones. For those who just didn't want to jump into 4e and liked 3.x, we have Pathfinder, True 20, or Fantasy Craft or just download a copy of the SRD and you're ready to go.

5e will probably have to offer something "additional" aside from official support from WotC. Maybe we'll see a DDI for 5e or some kind of new perk.

Even if 5e turns out to be a very compatible edition, I still see it as kind of a hard sell to satisfied players of OSR retro clones or Pathfinder.

Randomthoughts

Adventurer
5e will probably have to offer something "additional" aside from official support from WotC. Maybe we'll see a DDI for 5e or some kind of new perk.
WotC would be crazy if they didn't offer some electronic support for 5e.

Given the modular design of 5e, it makes sense for DDI to allow, for example, the Monster Builder and Character Builder to enable/disable options, so one can choose the level of complexity you want. Better yet, I'm hoping there is a "Campaign Builder" where a GM can make these strategic decisions that will cascade to MB and CB (and other builders).

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Now the question is, what can 5e give me that Pathfinder doesnt already?

And how do you keep the idea of 4e around (make the game easier to teach surely is not a problem)?
Wizards is advocating a modular design approach. They have also declared their desire to appeal across all editions and players in the D&D community (and probably in other RPGs too). I suspect 5e will give you the opportunity to play a game similar to 4e, 3.x, and older versions, but with plug and play options for each. On top of that there will almost certainly be brand new options we haven't seen before. Will it include Pathfinder? No. Not the changes created by Paizo, but could Paizo's Pathfinder game rules be highly compatible and therefore interchangeable into the 3.x options of 5e? Yes, I think so. That means relatively easy conversion from any Pathfinder adventure too for playing them in the new game.

kitsune9

Adventurer

Given the modular design of 5e, it makes sense for DDI to allow, for example, the Monster Builder and Character Builder to enable/disable options, so one can choose the level of complexity you want. Better yet, I'm hoping there is a "Campaign Builder" where a GM can make these strategic decisions that will cascade to MB and CB (and other builders).

There you go, something like could be something that WotC can do to provide additional perks for 5e.

SSquirrel

Explorer

The question is what they will code things in. Right now, you can't use the DDI tools on an iPad and support for that would be great, especially if there was an active play mode for the character sheet so you could track everything on the screen for yourself. People already track their hit points and spells and such on PCs already, tablets are the next step.

The problem is they have things coded in Silverlight. Flash for mobile units is being abandoned after 10.1 (not that it was on the iPad, but it was on Android) and there is a lot of talk that Silverlight is not long for the world either. Which is an about face from supposedly an iOS compatible version of Silverlight coming out soon.

If they produce downloadable apps written in some form of C, they could (in theory) have about 90% of the code the same and just have different coding for PC/Mac/iOS. I know the move from downloadable apps to web apps really tweaked a lot of people, but that allowed PC and Mac compatibility. They are already having to compete with so many other forms of entertainment, they need to be as platform agnostic as they can be. I know several people who have one desktop in the house and a few tablets and most members of the family get by on the tablet. With the increasing use of smartphones and tablets, WotC needs to show us they can get in front of technology for a change instead of giving us disappointing and delayed software.

I know not everyone wants computers and tablets at the table, I know plenty who have a strict policy about it being purely pen and paper. Some even have people turn off cell phones during play. As long as people are staying on task ("Game on!") it isn't a problem. My experiences aren't everyone's though.

dingle

First Post
Dingle's games has an NPC Generator for Pathfinder Pathfinder Dingles Games
Free for up to 5th Level. You can add class levels, templates and Advance Monsters. It will create your stats, skills and feats. You can then micro manage them. Spells and Magic Items can be sellected

werecorpse

Adventurer
Same with me, pathfinder is ott,

Sorry trying to agree with those above who are looking for a more streamlined less complex system, that doesn't require as much system mastery

Last edited:

ArmoredSaint

First Post
Even though its designers tried to correct it, Pathfinder still suffers from the old 3.5e problem of Casters being better than everyone else. The Fighter is still uninteresting and underpowered in Pathfinder (even though he's better than he was in straight D&D3.5e). Pathfinder started with material that was irreparably broken, and no amount of tweaking it is going to fix it to my satisfaction. It is my fond hope that 5e avoids this trap from the beginning.

Additionally, Pathfinder's fairly recent attempt to correct some of its problems with the rules in Ultimate Combat are disgustingly Asiaphilic to such a degree that it nauseates me. I want my fighter to rock without looking like a samurai or ninja.

Banshee16

First Post
I liked 3e and really didn't care for 4e, but I did feel changes needed to me made for me to contniue to plat D&D. Never made the switch the to pathfinder, though I did play it. IMO 3e was too math heavy, catered too much to optimized styles of play, had too many many flavor elements (I could have done without stuff like dragon disciple, warlock, and wired class/race/prestige class combos. It a good core multi class system that for me jumped the shark. Also there were just too many rules. It really needed to be stripped down and streamlined. There were also some big balance issues. For me 4e went to far addressing these issues (particularly with how they changed spell casters), and went in some wild new directions I had no interest in. I think 5e is an opportunity to make an edition that fixes 3e in way people want but without making it into something totally new and different.

Crossing my fingers....

Banshee

Remove ads