What Can We Learn from CRPGS?

General answers:

- Gamism. Old school TTRPGs often erred on the side of simulationism. In the modern era, narritavism seems to be taking over. Sometimes it's important to remember gamist principles. CRPGs are rife with gamism that can be extremely rewarding. Of course, I say this as someone who prefers 3.Xe, so take this with a grain of salt.

- Teaching the rules as you go. This is a modern game convention in the form of "tutorial levels", but one that can be very useful to bring players into the game.

- Don't be afraid of new technology. CRPGs cater to the latest tech. With Roll20, Zoom, etc, TTRPGs can, too.

- Railroading isn't always bad. This is obviously a much bigger hole to go down, but the existence of the CRPG market is basically proof that sometimes it's okay to railroad.

- Blowing on the game doesn't actually help.

Jaeger

That someone better
Pick up and play. Quest logs. Accessibility. Sandbox freedom. Regular, small progression. Fast loading (compared to unprepared GMs).
Honestly, several times other players and I had the debate "why are we here playing lame D&D when we could be playing Skyrim?"

Behold, If thou findest thyself asking this question.

Verily, someone is doing it wrong...

Now a number of factors could contribute to this - the unprepared GM issue you cite is probably a big reason. Sometimes it could just be group dynamics though. Not every group you play with will "sync". Sometimes one has to shop around...

My current group is great - we played a short 5e campaign, and it was fun. I hate the d20 system, and 5e's implementation of it. But because of the group dynamic I still enjoyed the game in spite of the system.

I would have enjoyed it more with a better system. But group dynamics can make up for a lot.

In my opinion after 30+ years with various campaigns and systems and mechanics and player personalities...absolutely nothing, except how to run a fantastically restricted railroad where the only thing you get after a lengthy campaign is changing the color of the explosion at the end of the game. 🤔🙄😝

Man, you have been playing the wrong games.

Ironically, I just finished modifying the Wastelands 3 rules system to use in my next F2F campaign, because it's more innovative than anything I've seen lately in RPGs.

Pick up and play. Quest logs. Accessibility. Sandbox freedom. Regular, small progression. Fast loading (compared to unprepared GMs).
Honestly, several times other players and I had the debate "why are we here playing lame D&D when we could be playing Skyrim?"

A very good question. And as VR develops, that question will become more and more valid.

What games do you recommend I play? Seriously! I just started Mass Effect Andromeda. So recommends of better CRPGs is more than welcome. Seriously! Help!
Mass Effect? You may well be beyond help. ;)

7 days to die, Fallout Series, Elder Scrolls, Rimworld, Wasteland 2, Wasteland 3 just for starters. There's a couple years worth of gaming assuming you play 40 hours a week.

And that's just off the top of my head. The Pillars of Eternity are good if you like Pathfinder. I haven't played Balor's Gate 3 or Phoenix point yet, but I will.

Jaeger

That someone better
- Railroading isn't always bad. This is obviously a much bigger hole to go down, but the existence of the CRPG market is basically proof that sometimes it's okay to railroad.

Railroading is some cases is a necessity or convenience. One-shots, con games, etc.. The CRPG market is a railroad because time and money dictate a limited play experience.

In exchange for railroading you the CRPG offers instant accessibility, challenging yet not annoying gameplay, and tries to offer a compelling "storyline" that all combine to offset the fact that you are on rails.

While in RPG's railroading can be a a necessity or convenience in certain situations (and nothing wrong with that in their context.) IMHO you are robbing yourself of a play experience that CRPG's can't ever hope to match if you engage in them as a matter of routine.

Ironically, I just finished modifying the Wastelands 3 rules system to use in my next F2F campaign, because it's more innovative than anything I've seen lately in RPGs.

If I may inquire - adapting for a table top game?

If so what do you think it dies differently?

And how do you make it work with dice...?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases