Pathfinder 1E What class would complement this party?

Quickleaf

Legend
I may join a Pathfinder game, but have little experience with Pathfinder. The party is 6th level and consists of a Bloodrager (barbarian w/ spells), a Sorcerer, an Inquisitor, and an Alchemist (with some multi-classing in Swashbuckler & Bloodrager).

My hunch is the party could use a dedicated "healer" and/or a dedicated "thief-type", but not sure. Any recommendations?

Last edited:

If you don't have much experience with Pathfinder, then I would strongly suggest the Oracle class. It's a full divine caster (much like the Cleric or Druid), but it doesn't know nearly as many spells (much like the Sorcerer), so it should be easier for you to jump in and play - especially if most of the spells you choose are for healing and curing status conditions.

Lylandra

Adventurer
If you don't have much experience with Pathfinder, then I would strongly suggest the Oracle class. It's a full divine caster (much like the Cleric or Druid), but it doesn't know nearly as many spells (much like the Sorcerer), so it should be easier for you to jump in and play - especially if most of the spells you choose are for healing and curing status conditions.

On top of that, the Oracle can choose to automatically learn every "cure" spell and you also have your "domain spells" which more than often come from the classical arcane lists.
"Thief type" is not really needed as PF classes generally have more skillpoints, favored Class can give you skillpoints and your Inquisitor has a lot of "scoundrel" skills.

You can also play a bard (Songhealer archetype maybe? So you'll get heal and resurrection) if you like to play skillmonkey, but for pure, efficient healing a cleric/druid/oracle is the stronger choice.

Quickleaf

Legend
I have a little 3.5e experience, but am very new to Pathfinder.

On the rare occasions I get to be a player, I generally veer toward easy-to-run warrior or scoundrel types, usually avoid too much spellcasting; just personal preference as I like to play with minimum of looking stuff up.

Here's my character concept: Dietrich Aust the Thieftaker, a thief-turned-church-spy, a dyed-in-the-wool politico with the mind of a mousetrap and a pragmatic faith tempered by rigorous scruples. Even better if I can make him a "master of ravens" type. And even better if he has a bit of soldiering skill. Rusty thieving skills, but really good at social skills & knowing the right people / calling in favors / gaining leverage and applying blackmail.

Yeah,healer is needed. Druid,cleric, Paladin or maybe Ranger.

Thanks! Sounds like when it comes to healing, you need to play a spellcaster?

Tentatively was exploring stating my character as a Rogue 1, Ranger (guildbreaker) 5 with secondary Cleric class (using Pathfinder Unchained variant multi-classing) possibly aiming for the Master Spy PrC... doing the secondary Cleric class for spontaneous "cure" casting... but would that not be enough healing?

Wow, seems like there's a lot of versatility to the Oracle based on your choice of Mystery! Hmm...a bit overwhelming with the options...but do you think an Oracle with the Streets Mystery would be a decent fit for my character concept?

On top of that, the Oracle can choose to automatically learn every "cure" spell and you also have your "domain spells" which more than often come from the classical arcane lists.
"Thief type" is not really needed as PF classes generally have more skillpoints, favored Class can give you skillpoints and your Inquisitor has a lot of "scoundrel" skills.

You can also play a bard (Songhealer archetype maybe? So you'll get heal and resurrection) if you like to play skillmonkey, but for pure, efficient healing a cleric/druid/oracle is the stronger choice.

I do like to play skillmonkeys more than spellcasters, yes. But I'm able to play either, most important to me is filling the party's gaps (i.e. healing), so if that means caster I can do a caster.

While the Songhealer doesn't fit my character concept, maybe a different sort of Bard could? All Bards can cast cure light wounds, right?

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]Dietrich Aust the Thieftaker, a thief-turned-church-spy, a dyed-in-the-wool politico with the mind of a mousetrap and a pragmatic faith tempered by rigorous scruples. Even better if I can make him a "master of ravens" type. And even better if he has a bit of soldiering skill. Rusty thieving skills, but really good at social skills & knowing the right people / calling in favors / gaining leverage and applying blackmail.
  • Can fulfill the "healer" role in the party.
  • Has good social skills and is something of a skill monkey.
  • Has contacts/connections he can call upon/exploit.
  • Can fight with a longsword and shoot a crossbow - isn't useless in a fight.
  • Has raven messengers and/or a raven companion.
  • Would make a good spy.
[/SECTION]

I was able to pin down a couple classes/archetypes that could fit... but unsure which would better fill the "healer" gap in the party? Or if I should be looking at some form of multiclassing to realize my concept?

Bard (brazen deceiver? detective? wit?) – not as familiar with the bard archetypes yet, but I think bard works...though this would lack the raven messengers/companions...is there any way for a bard to add summon minor ally or summon nature's ally (druid/ranger spells) to the bard spell list? or otherwise gain access to them?

Druid (swarm monger) – feels like a mismatch in terms of skills & druidic code of conduct, but has good healing & lots of raven-themed support

Oracle (streets) – pretty good skill coverage & healing, but no raven-themed support and no combat ability

Ranger (falconer? guildbreaker? raven master? urban?) – really hard to get the skills I'm looking for, and may not be so good at healing?

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Yeah if you want to try a different class from the old D&D stuff, Oracle is a good choice indeed. But oracles have a curse which may hamper them. But they can fight. I played a mute combat oracle for more than 4 years.

Quickleaf

Legend
Yeah if you want to try a different class from the old D&D stuff, Oracle is a good choice indeed. But oracles have a curse which may hamper them. But they can fight. I played a mute combat oracle for more than 4 years.

Really? Oracles can fight well? I was comparing them to bards – same BAB, worse weapons profs. than bards but better armor profs. – and thought they looked more like a caster than a warrior. How did you make your "fighting oracle", was it by selecting the Battle Mystery? Which makes sense, but probably wouldn't fit my concept.

Remove ads