• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What classes did you play, which did you like?

Which did you play, and did you LIKE , because (not inspite) of mechanics

• I liked playing a Bard

Votes: 76 39.0%
  • I did not like playing a Bard

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Never played a Bard

Votes: 79 40.5%
  • I liked playing a Barbarian

Votes: 84 43.1%
  • I did not like playing a Barbarian

Votes: 17 8.7%
  • Never played a Barbarian

Votes: 80 41.0%
  • I liked playing a Cleric

Votes: 136 69.7%
  • I did not like playing a Cleric

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • Never played a Cleric

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I liked playing a Druid

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • I did not like playing a Druid

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • Never played a Druid

Votes: 87 44.6%
  • I liked playing a Fighter

Votes: 138 70.8%
  • I did not like playing a Fighter

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • Never played a Fighter

Votes: 18 9.2%
  • I liked playing a Monk

Votes: 63 32.3%
  • I did not like playing a Monk

Votes: 34 17.4%
  • Never played a Monk

Votes: 84 43.1%
  • I liked playing a Paladin

Votes: 76 39.0%
  • I did not like playing a Paladin

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • Never played a Paladin

Votes: 74 37.9%
  • I liked playing a Ranger

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • I did not like playing a Ranger

• Never played a Ranger

Votes: 61 31.3%
  • I liked playing a Rogue

Votes: 139 71.3%
  • I did not like playing a Rogue

Votes: 14 7.2%
  • Never played a Rogue

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • I liked playing a Sorcerer

Votes: 88 45.1%
  • I did not like playing a Sorcerer

• Never played a Sorcerer

Votes: 71 36.4%
  • I liked playing a Wizard

Votes: 134 68.7%
  • I did not like playing a Wizard

Votes: 21 10.8%
  • Never played a Wizard

Votes: 30 15.4%
  • Never played any of the above

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Poll closed .

EricNoah

Adventurer
I liked playing a fighter/rogue, liked playing a wizard, liked playing a paladin.

Didn't like playing a cleric.

Did not play the others (except as NPCs -- the curse of being mostly a DM).

Cadfan

First Post
Ach. I can't vote in your poll.

Here's why.

I played a cleric. LOVED IT. But I didn't love certain things about my cleric. I think certain things about my cleric could have been improved.

So what do I check? I don't want to mislead people.

I had similar experiences with the Fighter, Ranger, and Monk.

Cleric- I actually like being a combat medic. I even took the combat medic PRC! But the Turn Undead system sucks, and there were a lot of ways that the cleric was unsuited for a fast, lightly armored combat medic.
Fighter- Enjoyed the role of being the tough guy who protects everyone else. Didn't like being so unmaneuverable, or finding out that certain combinations of gear were so unsynergistic. For example, polearm + plate armor is bad because you need dexterity to get combat reflexes to make the polearm work, meaning you don't need the plate anymore.
Ranger- Liked most of the ranger. Disliked having to guess what the campaign was about when I picked my favored enemies. Disliked forgetting to apply my favored enemy bonus because I didn't know what I was facing. Disliked having to handwave my arrow consumption because my quiver held 20 arrows and I could shoot 4 per round.
Monk- Liked the style. Didn't like that my speed was incompatible with my best combat ability, flurry of blows. Could have used a few more skill points, but couldn't spare the stats to boost my intelligence.

GlassJaw

Hero
The only class I didn't really like playing was monk. Just never liked the guerrilla-style combatant that couldn't hit anything. I had high hopes for a cleric/monk/sacred fist but the campaign never got high enough.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Of course, the options don't include warmage or psion. But I can understand. :)

I don't like playing clerics, primarily because of spell memorization. That just irritates me to no end. I can deal with slots, no problem, but choosing what goes in there is just annoying bookkeepping.

My barbarian also had cleric levels, but he primarily focused on beating people over the head and barely, EVER cast a spell. The barbarian was vastly fun, with the various attack options available from his build. The math was a bit onerous, but not too bad, and it didn't significantly detract from the fun.

The rogue was fun mostly because I like being a sneaky punk, and I got significant screen time doing traps and whatnot. I definitely did not like the hordes of creatures immune to sneak attack (to be fair, the DM did include a boatload of humanoids with fortification).

Brad

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Since you didn't specify what edition, I checked off everything I've ever played. (Even though its obviously for 3.x, sorcers but no multi-classed non-Humans.) Of course, this is not to say that I loved all of them every minute that I was playing them, just a general "Yeah, I had fun playing that."

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Conseptually, Paladins are cool but with all the DMs I've played 'em under they've stunk.

The only two classes I haven't played are the Wizard and Sorcerer.

I've played all the other classes and enjoyed playing them..

Lately, I'm more drawn to Martial Rogues. Its a concept I can't seem to get tired of.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Oh, hmm, in retrospect ... my DM let m houserule the heck out of my paladin. He banishes outsiders instead of turning undead; he uses full level to determine banishing instead of Lvl-3 (but has no mount); and as a tradeoff for slower leveling we get a feat every single level regardless, and I used homebrewed feats to ramp up my Divine feats and improve my spell list. So ... I enjoy MY paladin, not sure if I would enjoy the core paladin.

Rallek

First Post
I can't vote in the poll because you specify because of the mechanics...

When a player really wants a certain feel or concept that isn't setting breaking, isn't that why the Gods of all Gaming gave us house rules? If mechanics are in the way, bend them until they aren't or just chuck 'em and houserule around it. YMMV, of course.

rgard

Adventurer
I'm answering this poll as if it was for 3.x. Of course there weren't any sorcerers in 1e and wizards were called magic users.

Edit: ones not included in the poll (non-phb I guess) that I played: Swashbuckler, Battle Sorcerer and Warlock. Enjoyed them all!

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited:

Remove ads