WotC What classic setting SHOULD WotC publish and why?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I don't think they should publish any classic settings. There's no reason to do so beyond crass materialism. Write new setting and rules that cater to their new primary demographic, and leave the past in pdf form for those who are interested. It's the only way to minimize social blowback, and we know how important that is to WotC.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Well, up to a point, crass materialism is part of what keeps WotC in business. I'm not going to ding them for publishing something they think will sell.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
OK, that sounds sexy as hell.
It's taken me a long time to even figure out what parts I'd want to use. The big remaining question for me is how to handle Sigil. I was thinking of going the Yoon Suin route there, where things are established via rolls and whatnot. So you get factions and an outline, but it develops based on play rather than a huge pre-existing lore dump. That isn't as easy as it sounds of course, which is why this project hasn't really moved beyond the doodling phase just yet. I am, at heart, a lazy dude.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
You say that like it is a reason WotC wouldn't do something?
Well, the question was what classic settings do I think they should publish. They can make plenty of money making new content targeting the new players without tearing apart classic settings with mangled new lore. New material is better for everyone.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It's taken me a long time to even figure out what parts I'd want to use. The big remaining question for me is how to handle Sigil. I was thinking of going the Yoon Suin route there, where things are established via rolls and whatnot. So you get factions and an outline, but it develops based on play rather than a huge pre-existing lore dump. That isn't as easy as it sounds of course, which is why this project hasn't really moved beyond the doodling phase just yet. I am, at heart, a lazy dude.
I wonder if you could adapt some of the material for Fellowship (which I do not own, so I am making some assumptions about what level of support it offers) and use that for emergent setting info.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Except, I suppose, all those people who are desperate to play previous setting X in a 5E version. There seems to be a lot of those people, and to newbs those settings would be brand spanking anyway, so I don't see the issue...

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I wonder if you could adapt some of the material for Fellowship (which I do not own, so I am making some assumptions about what level of support it offers) and use that for emergent setting info.
Hmm. Maybe. There a lot of places to look for inspiration, including Worlds Without Number. I was also kind of thinking that a bit of Troika's oddness might also cool. So, for example, when I read Fever Dreaming Marlinko. I think yeah, that's kinda what I want. I want the feel of Sigil to come across loud and clear, whilst still leaving lots of details wide open for individual GMs to fill in as they see fit.

Remove ads