WotC What classic setting SHOULD WotC publish and why?

Faolyn

(she/her)
We should remember a thing. The crystal spheres of the most famous settings can't before the setting themself.
Then you simple divorce Spelljammer from the old settings. Reference Torilspace, Greyspace, Krynnspace, and... Ebberspace(?), but don't flesh them out; just sidebar 'em. Then what I would do is:

Include a series of Random Planet Tables and Random Solar System Tables.

Then, have a series of Random Planet Inhabitant Tables, with the idea that--like with most SF settings--each planet would only have a small number of sentient species. One table for races, another for tech level.

Then, just focus on major locations in space, like the Rock of Bral.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I wouldn't use planets at all. They're unmanageably big. I went with shards of realms (almost like Ravenloft sort of) to try and keep things more comprehensible. That's just what makes sense to me, but if I wanted planetary exploration I'd just go right to Sci-Fi.

FR11 Dwarves Deep by Ed Greenwood (1990) goes into this in awkward Greenwoodian detail, down to how Dwarven society celebrates intermarriage with Humans, Halflimgs, and Gnomes.
Wow same year and Greenwood was in charge of both lol.
Still the horniest setting TSR ever published, even if they showed a lot more skin in Dark Sun.
For real. Greenwood's Border Kingdoms campaign supplement featured like at least one thing that can only be summarized as a backwoods group-sex cult (portrayed as "just a thing that happens") and I believe multiple cases of polyamory. That was just last year.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
OK, but how many people want product X is a fine indicator as regards what should WotC publish ( at least one reading of should anyway). The notion that a new edition will 'destroy the old' seems a little hyperbolic maybe? IDK...
That's an interesting point. I wonder how many of this vast sea of new modern players actually want 5e versions of old settings? Wouldn't they be just as happy with all-new material rather than updates to settings they have no personal knowledge of? Old players are the ones who want these updates, and we're a vestigial arm of the fandom at this point. IMO, as far as WotC is concerned, we don't matter anymore.

Rikka66

Adventurer
That's an interesting point. I wonder how many of this vast sea of new modern players actually want 5e versions of old settings? Wouldn't they be just as happy with all-new material rather than updates to settings they have no personal knowledge of? Old players are the ones who want these updates, and we're a vestigial arm of the fandom at this point. IMO, as far as WotC is concerned, we don't matter anymore.
Yet not only do they release old settings, they are ramping up how many they do.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
As I've said, I believe that's a matter of marketing and brand protection, not a genuine respect for those settings.
Demonstrated by what? Their statements all include lots of declarations of love for Ravenloft. Is it not possible that people who genuinely love an old setting might update it differently than you would?

Last edited:

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
As I've said, I believe that's a matter of marketing and brand protection, not a genuine respect for those settings.

Based on the studio blog (Who We Are And What We Do | Dungeons & Dragons) Hasbro has no influence on what books are published, and half of the books end up on the cutting room floor even after late development. I severely doubt the influence of the "marketing/brand people" at this stage, and that settings are being pushed through solely by these folks. And I doubt any book that does makes it through this stage would if they were being made by folks who don't respect the material.

Faolyn

(she/her)
On r/dndnext, I'll often see threads like this:

Older Player: "Something something [old setting]."

Newer Player: "What's [old setting]?"

Bunch of older players give hammed-up descriptions of [old setting]

Newer Player: "Wow, that sounds awesome. I want to play in that setting now!"

So while the newer players may not be aware about the old settings, it's usually not that hard to get them interested in them.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Wow same year and Greenwood was in charge of both lol.
I mean, he does mention that a half-Human may be a taller Dwarf, or a half-Halfling might have a shorter beard and larger feet. I definitely got the impression that Dwarves Deep provided Greenwoods official ruling for "can I seduce the Dwaeven king?" But it wouldn't surprise me of he would also be cool if someone wanted to do something more than "slightly taller Dwarf" for a concept.

Remove ads