What D&D Tool/App are you looking for?

Dexamalion

Explorer
I've seen at least one app that does this, and it's pretty cool, so that could be handy, but I would really like is the ability to essentially paint a map using the square grid.

For example, I would pick the "dungeon floor" brush and any square I paint over becomes a dungeon floor. Then I simply place objects where I want them.
Dungeon Mapp does this on the iPad in a pretty quick and intuitive fashion. It also has a built in dice roller, initiative roller and tracker, animated icons and lots more features. Check out the website for a full feature list.

Derek

Hassassin

First Post
I could pay an up front cost for any kind of good tool, especially if the payment was for a value added when buying a book or boxed set. I am unlikely to pay for a digital tool subscription, regardless of the tool. Again, a tool as a value added to a subscription for APs or setting books would be another matter.

Especially interesting tools would be ones that make it easier to prep adventures. There are a lot of dungeon generators, but I've seen few outdoors area generators (hexcrawl). Random encounter table generators and especially more complex encounter generation (with motivations and plot hooks) would be appreciated, since that's the kind of thing where digital tools shine in comparison to printed tables as you can have a lot more content.

weem

First Post
"...<quote you made up from 'weem'>..."

That's great news. I would like to pre-order.

Eww, quoting me saying something that I didn't, hehe. Obviously it's not malicious, but I have had bad experiences is all (including one this weekend, though not here on EN World).

For the record, in case anyone got their hopes up... I am NOT working on a Holodeck :p

That said, we are pretty sure we know what we will be working on and I'm pretty excited! It's nothing too crazy, but I can't share anything just yet. We'll grab a site for it and get some initial information up, then I'll come back and drop an update here (hopefully by tomorrow, or at least this week).

I'll also want to get some feedback about it if you all are so inclined. I will be able to talk about the plan and get some info from you about what you think is good, what's not, etc.

Some of you have said monthly subscriptions are no good and that's something we talked about last week and decided against. It will likely be a yearly cost of $15 or less. Also, we will probably start this as a Kickstarter with the cost of one year as a pledge option (getting you not only the first year when it is released, but early access, etc).

Also, this idea is something that can be used across the major platforms (PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android)!

Again, thanks for the feedback - I'm pretty excited about the idea and look forward to sharing more info very soon!

weem

First Post
UPDATE!

We decided what we would do and it's something I always thought would be fun... an Initiative Tracker! Of course, there is more to it than just that.

We started working on it about 2 weeks ago! Here's the site with some information about what it will do etc...

Track Initiative | The Easy to Use, Flexible Initiative Tracker for your Table Top RPG's

We will likely do a kickstarter for it as well.

If you have any questions let me know either here, or hit me up on Twitter [at]theweem!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! We will likely do another project in a few months and I have a number of ideas set aside, including some from here ;)

Alan Shutko

Explorer
There are dozens of initiative trackers out there already, many of which already do status effects. I'd suggest explaining how your tracker will be different from others.

I'd also recommend spending lots of time on the UI. Folks on smartphones and tablets have grown used to very responsive interfaces and it's definitely work to make HTML5 perform that well.

Since you're supporting Blackberry, you should decide up front what versions of the platform you'll support. Blackberry users almost never upgrade firmwares and many are stuck on older OS versions with extremely limited browsers.

weem

First Post
There are dozens of initiative trackers out there already, many of which already do status effects. I'd suggest explaining how your tracker will be different from others.

That's a good point. I think the big thing for me is that, as a player, it needs to be as simple as you can imagine. You go to a link and it's all there, in real time. No program to load, no website to go log into with an account (except for the DM, but even that will be pretty simple), you just click a unique URL and you are there. Click on your character for notifications (if you want em)... that's it. For me as a Player, it needs to be that simple otherwise I'm not going to use it.

Anyway, I get the point and thanks for the feedback - we'll look at illustrating these differences a little better.

Yeah. News of an initiative tracker leaves me fairly cold. I must admit I expected something more from you. :(

Sorry to disappoint you, but perhaps your expectations of me were higher than they should have been (which I do appreciate) hehe ;) We do not do these kinds of things - we are a web development company - so, this being our first "off" project, we wanted something light and easy. Hope that makes sense. If this goes well enough, we'll move on to bigger better things.

Jack99

Adventurer
Sorry to disappoint you, but perhaps your expectations of me were higher than they should have been (which I do appreciate) hehe ;) We do not do these kinds of things - we are a web development company - so, this being our first "off" project, we wanted something light and easy. Hope that makes sense. If this goes well enough, we'll move on to bigger better things.

Perhaps I did. It's just that normally you are so creative, at least that is my impression of you, and making an initiative tracker, is so not - IMO, of course. Anyway, I wish you luck, and hope you can still surprise me ;)

MacMathan

Explorer
I want what I have experienced on Google+ video conferencing blended with an excellent virtual table.

I want the whole thing available on whatever the current generation of XboX will be; using voice, video if you have a Kinect and a linked an excellent virtual table top.

To support the above excellent DM building tools for monsters, traps, custom maps etc that are ported easily into the VM environment.

Gathering all of these tools together into a Campaign website that can be public or private akin to Obsidian Portal

I want to have a D&D app available for IPAD and Android that allows a table full of players to use their ipads in a cohesive fashion with the DM to enhance sound, visuals and communication. Once again even here a virtual table top could work if desired but also could do without.

All of the books available via Amazon kindle with voice text enabled for deaf players who want to learn. These books will be relatively protected by DRM and instantly updated as changes are made. For hardback allow PoD versions with whatever sections the buyer wants

Make it all about subscription based play. It actually can lower the cost of entry.

When tech feasible have custom 3D-printed plastic character models available to players and DM. And id you have that tech down go for custom dice too.

Remove ads