• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What did Monte mean?

Dorloran

First Post
I've been seeing that Monte Cook remarked that he never liked d20, and that he thought it was designed by hacks?

Does anyone know where this comes from?

Do you know to what he might have been referring (break-down at high levels, too many save or die, d20 yields too narrow a range of results, etc.) and what was the context of the remark??

Thanks!

Laman Stahros

First Post
Monte Cook was one of the designers of 3e D&D (and therefore d20). He has posted statements like that here as a joke on a number of occasions.

frankthedm

First Post
Dorloran said:
I've been seeing that Monte Cook remarked that he never liked d20, and that he thought it was designed by hacks?

Do you know to what he might have been referring (break-down at high levels, too many save or die, d20 yields too narrow a range of results, etc.) and what was the context of the remark??

Thanks!

1. He was one of those "hacks". He is taking a jab at himself

2. The D&D game going from 2e to 3e was rebalanced with rules to cover most situations with most of those rules favoring players rather being nuetral as most other games are. The reason for this was simple, there are more players than DMs buying the books and if the game takes it easy on players, the game company sells more books.

3E: Players and their money are soon parted.

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
Dorloran said:

Thanks!

It was a joke.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Yeah, as others said, he was making a joke. The context? He was making a joke. Then some decided that what he said was funny, so they (diaglo, for one) used it as a sig quote. That's all it was: a joke.

Remove ads