• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What Do Dwarves Eat?

delericho

Legend
Speaking of inconsistent I've always wondered why an underground/mountain races is given axes as racial weapon proficiency. Shouldn't that go to someone who developed around trees?

Oh, that's easy - it's well known that dwarves hate and fear trees. Well, all wood-based life forms, really.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Speaking of inconsistent I've always wondered why an underground/mountain races is given axes as racial weapon proficiency. Shouldn't that go to someone who developed around trees? (Axes being the tool used to chop wood). In my games I'm going to change that to warpick since picks are used for mining and breaking stone.

Because without coal (or lava, thank you dwarf fortress) you need wood to chop trees to use as a fuel source to forge iron, steel and other metals.

Kikuras

First Post
Speaking of inconsistent I've always wondered why an underground/mountain races is given axes as racial weapon proficiency. Shouldn't that go to someone who developed around trees? (Axes being the tool used to chop wood).

The real question is why people use perfectly good goblin-halvers to cut down trees. You'd think a saw would work better.

delericho

Legend
The real question is why people use perfectly good goblin-halvers to cut down trees. You'd think a saw would work better.

Surely one would use a saw to fell the tree, then an axe to chop it up into manageable (and burnable) chunks?

Either way, of course, you wouldn't use the same axe on the tree as on the goblin.

Dausuul

Legend
Speaking of inconsistent I've always wondered why an underground/mountain races is given axes as racial weapon proficiency. Shouldn't that go to someone who developed around trees? (Axes being the tool used to chop wood). In my games I'm going to change that to warpick since picks are used for mining and breaking stone.
Dwarves favor weapons that can penetrate heavy armor and thick hide. Axes and warhammers both meet that description.

There's no reason to expect a culture's favored weapons to resemble its tools. Bows and swords don't resemble much of anything used by your typical medieval farmer.

Last edited:

Kikuras

First Post
What if dwarves originally munched on tree roots, and 'harvesters' eventually became 'goblin-halvers', then as trade and cultivation were established, 'goblin-halvers' went back to 'harvesters'. Dwarves eat wood.

Will Doyle

Explorer
Dwarves favor weapons that can penetrate heavy armor and thick hide. Axes and warhammers both meet that description.

There's no reason to expect a culture's favored weapons to resemble its tools. Bows and swords don't resemble much of anything used by your typical medieval farmer.

Plenty of medieval weapons were adapted from agricultural tools though. Flails, for example. But I get your point.

Mallus

Legend
According to my old college campaign, Dwarves ate cave cows (which are blind and sorta globular, if I'm remembering correctly). Cave cows ate fungus, especially the killer D&D kind.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads