What do Enworlders do in real life?

genshou

First Post
VoidDragon said:
Hi everyone!

I just graduated high school, and until University starts in September I'm working in a library as a page/shelver. It's a rather boring job, but there's a lot of work to get done and the pay is good, so I can't really complain.
*points up*

Future librarian? :D

VoidDragon

First Post
There does seem to be quite a large number of librarians on EN World. I was actually hoping to get a job related to my degree once I graduate. (Chemical Engineering.)

papastebu

First Post
I get paid to put away frozen food for the largest retail chain in the world. I don't like it, but I do it because the money's O.K. It makes me mad, it makes me tired, but it makes me money. I have aspirations of authorship, yet I can't write for working and/or sleeping, dependent on the time of day. I would like to put in my bid for membership in the group of writers who don't write, even though I have never been, nor will I likely be, a librarian. I would also like to broaden the parameters to include support for artists who no longer draw and musicians who can't seem to find their songs anymore, as I am both of these, also.
My job ate my life, except for one small, yet majorly-important part; I am a Husband and Father, and no amount of other kinds of success could begin to hold a candle to that.

Metus

First Post
I've been feeling rather down as of late, because I'm a college grad who's unemployed and living with his mother, and has no future prospects. I do regret getting a college degree. Nevertheless, this thread has cheered me up - it's interesting to see so many varied professions in so many places.

Thanks to all who posted (and will post) on this thread, from Piratecat to the sex shop guy. It really does give some perspective to things.

Scotley

Hero
Metus said:
I've been feeling rather down as of late, because I'm a college grad who's unemployed and living with his mother, and has no future prospects. I do regret getting a college degree.

I hope things will look up for you soon. What is your degree in? I'm sorry to read that you regret getting a degree. As someone trained in Psychological testing I can tell you that your IQ goes up relative to your less educated peers when you go to college. Depending on how much damage you did to your brain partying on the weekends of course. It seems to me that increasingly a college education is seen as simply the start of a career path rather than something you do to better yourself. I really believe I grew as a person during my college years and that I not only learned a lot of facts, but also how to learn and think. Maybe when your situation improved you'll see that those years weren't really wasted.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
jester47 said:
Hey PC- does working for Nintendo mean that you are now in the Seattle area?
Nope, although I love Seattle. I work in Massachusetts for a design house wholly owned by THQ.

In fact, this probably isn't the place to announce it, but we're hunting for experienced 3d artists and programmers. Details here! Email me (click on my user name) for more info.

thud13x

First Post
Me?

I work at a large and prestigious law firm in downtown DC. Even though my official title is Legal Assistant, I work in the first floor with all the copy machines. I create binders, documents, assist in procuring data to comply with depositions from clients' offices, et al. Basically I work 6-7 days a week in order to be yelled at by lawyers...

Yea!
:]

Metus

First Post
Scotley said:
I hope things will look up for you soon. What is your degree in?

Asian Studies with a minor in History. I thought I should just follow my heart and do what sounded interesting to me. Big mistake. Colleges these days are glorified computer labs or business schools. Not only is the degree worthless - no one cares about Asian Studies - but I paid out the wazoo thinking it wouldn't be.

All jobs open to me start out at the very bottom rung, jobs that would have been available to me without a degree and jobs that I would already have moved up in (or at least gained experience at) had I spent the time working instead of attending college. I've applied everywhere, to the government and corporations, and it's looking I might manage to become a barista for Starbucks. I'm really feeling that degree's worth.

My best friend graduated with an Aerospace Engineering degree with Honors. He's working at Denny's. Another friend of mine graduated with a Comp Sci degree. He checks the meters at the university he graduated from.

Were I to ever have kids, I'd have the good grace to warn them of the worthlessness of college. I wish my parents had for me.

Mr. Draco

First Post
I'm spending the summer doing research in nuclear physics at Los Alamos National Laboratory. Once the fall hits, the university will start up again (I'm a soon to be Junior).

12rounds

First Post
Software Engineer in the printing industry in one of the biggest printing houses in Nordic countries. I'm involved in directory systems - both printed directories and electronic directories.

My time goes like this:
20% customer service, 20% software development, 50% ad-hoc programming for "I needed this yesterday!" clients and 10% wasting time in pointless meetings.

My limited spare time goes between my family, 3D-based illustrations and games of all sorts.

I doubt anyone cared, but that didn't stop me from writing all of this.

Remove ads