• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do they do with the copper and silver?

Set

First Post
I believe it was Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil where the party found an altar to Moradin that was carved out of emerald or something. Stone Shape to get it up from the floor, Animate Dead to have a quartet of Ogre Zombies carry the thing out of the dungeon...

The party never even considered leaving it there.

When it was suggested that it might be blasphemous to rip up an altar and carry it off as loot, the party Cleric said, 'Right, like we're going to leave an altar to the LG god of dwarves here in the temple of elemental evil! Clearly we've got to return it to the dwarves, and I'm sure there will be some sort of reward...'

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Over several different campaigns, I'd say it depended on the group, and the situation. Same players, in different campaigns, showed different behaviors. So, I don't think I can generalize.

Drowbane

First Post
Take it all.

Carry it all via Bags of Holding or by more mundane ways such as having a wagon or two: Yes.

Carry as much as the party wishes to and cache the rest so we can return and load upas often as it takes: Yes.

Leave some without meaning to scoop it up eventually?: Hell no.

edit: I've considered having my current high level (Evil) PC pay to have a dungeon built and stocked with "low level encounters & wealth". As a way to cull the future stock of would be heroes. :p Ya know, to cut down on the chances of some random hero destroying him somewhere down the line. Pure (somewhat OoC) fluff. hehe. Something to do with "disposable wealth".

delericho said:
...Then disassemble the funishings and fittings of the room, roll up all the carpets, check behind the pictures, and so forth. Then take the furnishings and fittings, carpets, paintings, and absolutely anything else that might be of any value to anyone...

QFT

Edit the Second: my few VoP characters in the past have requested thier share out of the "small coins" to ease in the giving of Alms & tithes.

Last edited:

Tetsubo

First Post
Set said:
I believe it was Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil where the party found an altar to Moradin that was carved out of emerald or something. Stone Shape to get it up from the floor, Animate Dead to have a quartet of Ogre Zombies carry the thing out of the dungeon...

The party never even considered leaving it there.

When it was suggested that it might be blasphemous to rip up an altar and carry it off as loot, the party Cleric said, 'Right, like we're going to leave an altar to the LG god of dwarves here in the temple of elemental evil! Clearly we've got to return it to the dwarves, and I'm sure there will be some sort of reward...'

Even selling the data on where said altar was would be profitable...

cougent

First Post
delericho said:
Take it all.

Then disassemble the furnishings and fittings of the room, roll up all the carpets, check behind the pictures, and so forth. Then take the furnishings and fittings, carpets, paintings, and absolutely anything else that might be of any value to anyone. Then break out the picks and shovels, and dig out all the walls and floors to a depth of at least six inches, just in case...

They haven't started stealing the hinges from all the doors, though. That would just be obsessive.
:lol:
I once got an Ethan Allen Gallery catalog and used it to describe some very nice ornate furniture in the lair of the BBEG my group was after, they found the lair while he was away, so they literally (and carefully) took the time to dissemble the fine furniture and take down the ornate tapestries and carted every stick of it away. They told me they did this mainly to PO the BBEG, but they did not turn down the money for it though.

Otherwise my PC's were usually greedy and grabbed every copper they could find. They were usually poor also though, so I can't blame them. Crytal vases, casks of wine, ornate lamps, dishes, cutlery, anything not nailed down... and then only if they could not un-nail it, that was pretty much their SOP.

Slife

First Post
delericho said:
Take it all.

Then disassemble the funishings and fittings of the room, roll up all the carpets, check behind the pictures, and so forth. Then take the furnishings and fittings, carpets, paintings, and absolutely anything else that might be of any value to anyone. Then break out the picks and shovels, and dig out all the walls and floors to a depth of at least six inches, just in case...

They haven't started stealing the hinges from all the doors, though. That would just be obsessive.
Make sure they don't get the stronghold builder's guide. Then they'll take everything including the hinges.

darthkilmor

First Post
My players so far(only 6th) tend to take most things of value. They have a "purse of holding" that the female rogue carries, can only hold coins/gems/anything that can be used as money basically, and boy do they make sure any money goes in there. There was a large black stone altar in a basic kind of chapel, where some shadows had tried to attack them. They went for that too. I think ths massive weight and the fact that there were trap doors they'd have to get the thing over were the only things keeping it from going all the way out of the dungeon.

Treebore

First Post
It never made sense to me for a large portion of a horde to be copper or silver anyways. Its like saying rich people keep all their millions and billions in wealth in pennies and dimes.

Still, typically my players prioritized most valuable to least. If they could take it all they did, if they couldn't they did their best to take the most valuable. I have seen those who didn't bother with copper, and later on silver, but not in my games. The wealthy in my games keep their wealth in gold, platinum, gemstones, property, and jewelery. Just like they do in the real world.

I do love the wealthy horde where the rich man went so far as to have his gold AND platinum plated in copper though.

Even when they got in trouble for passing off the gold plated copper coins they never even thought that maybe the copper from that horde was actually gold.

Remove ads