What DO you DO for... Barbarians?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Players haven't really shown an interest, since the barbarian in a previous game spent the latter half of so many fights in the negatives.

So, no house rules. They seem balanced okay.

Cheers, -- N

Greg K

Legend
The barbarian cultures in my homebrew setting use the barbarian hunter variant (Unearthed Arcana) combined with the Favored Environment variant (Uneathed Arcana) as the starting point. Furthermore, barbarians are not proficient in all Martial Weapons. Instead, each culture has its own cultural weapon group (Unearthed Arcana Weapon Groups) and the cultural weapon group determines the fighting style (i.e., not all cultures use the archery style).

Spatzimaus

First Post
IMC, we only changed two things:
> We reworked the Rage ability into our "Build-A-Rage"(tm) system, explained here, and the full rules are post #8.
> We removed the cultural aspects, primarily the illiteracy rule; in our world, most people refer to the class as "Berserker", and it's just the chaos-oriented fighting style (in the same way that Monks are the law-oriented one).

Arkhandus

First Post
I generally use the Barbarian as-written, but I did houserule it a bit in my Aurelia campaign, as with the rest of the classes. Mostly I just made it a bit more flexible, and added a few minor extras, along with making Animal Empathy and Spot class skills for them.

I gave Barbarians the feats Remain Conscious (called Diehard in 3.5) and Whirlwind Attack for free (ignoring the usual prerequisites) at certain levels (RC at 4th, WA at 18th), set Greater Rage at 10th-level, and made the fatigueless rage (Tireless Rage in 3.5) a 15th-level benefit.

Their number of rages per day were slightly lowered, while both Fast Movement and Damage Reduction were made into options for the Barbarian Talents ability that I added; they gain a Barbarian Talent at 1st-level, another at 2nd-level, and yet another at every 3rd level beyond that (so the last BT is gained at 20th-level. Among the Barbarian Talent options, along with those already mentioned, are Extra Raging, Extended Raging, Great Stamina, Deep Rage, Frenzied Rage (kinda like the Frenzied Berserker PrC but far, far less broken; I never allow the FB prestige class in any game), Mighty Rage, Greater Movement, Uncanny Dodge, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Greater Uncanny Dodge, Climate Adaptation, Low-Light Vision, and a few particular bonus feats suited to brutish fighting and wilderness life.

jeffh

Adventurer
• Profession is a class skill.
• Barbarians are not treated any differently than other classes with respect to literacy. See the next chapter for details on how learning languages works.
• A Barbarian may select Whirling Frenzy instead of Rage. This ability is described in Unearthed Arcana, page 66, and in the Variant Rules section at d20srd.org.
• (Some trivialities that have to do with how I treat Uncanny Dodge).

So not much, really.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Barbarian as is

HAve used a Totem Warrior variant who gets an ability called Rush rather than Rage. The Rush ablity allows them to add the rage bouses to ANY pair of abilities (eg an Warrior could increase Wisdom (gaining a bonus to senses and Will) and Dexterity (gaining a bonus to Dex-skills and Reflexes).
The Totem Warrior also gets other special abilities whilst in a Rush (including burst of speed, Jump bonus etc)

Remove ads