What do you do with your old RPG notes/maps/NPCs/PCs/etc?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I was going through a bunch of binders, notebooks, and loose papers last night.

Found the notes from my Megatraveller campaign of the early 90's; and the GURPS campaign I ran with a buddy in the late 90's; as well as the binder for the Dungeon World campaign I ran for a couple of years in the mid-teens; and all the material from the 4e campaign I had prepared to run for my sons in the late oughts, including their first characters...

I can't bring myself to toss them; but I'll never use them again. If I was to run any of the above - I'd do it using new stuff, with probably different rules; etc.

What do people do with the artifacts of games past?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Apparently I leave them with friends. An old friend of mine gave me an overflowing three-ring binder a couple years ago when I started playing again. I must have given it to him around 1989, before I went to college. I'm glad to still have the physical version. Old crinkly graph trace paper, characters written in pencil on loose-leafed college-ruled pages, they exude nostalgia. Looking over the materials, I can see that my spelling and punctuation is (a bit) better, but my graphic-design skills are not much improved.

"Gothic hero type"... of course. :rolleyes:

Epson_10122020194127_Redacted.png

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
They sit in folders on my bookshelf.

I've lost tons and tons of stuff; the oldest notes I have are from a 3.x campaign I ran back in 2002-2004. I really wish I still had the character sheet from my first character ever, back in 1994.

I reuse ideas and sometimes NPCs and items. I had a villain who has appeared and tormented players and characters alike across multiple campaigns, games, systems, and genres from about 1995-2003. Everybody hated him, and my friends, former players still talk about those adventures.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Reduce the ones with bloated info, reuse the revised or already good ones, recycle the scraps of the truly awful ones.

I've kept everything from the early 90s onwards since I have been DMing the same campaign setting since the beginning. I've also written some novels in the same setting, so they are useful in that sense as well.

R_J_K75

Legend
I still have some old folders and binders laying around but lost or threw out a ton of stuff over the years. I used MS word and other programs to create my adventures since the late 90s so most of that stuff is on a hard drive but finding anything Im looking for is pretty much a fools errand although I do get lucky from time to time. What I get a kick out of is the notes I find that were humidly scribbled during play on printed out adventure notes. Some of its pretty hilarious if I can remember what its about, others I cant read or make no sense. As I generally dont re-use old adventure ideas theres not much use for most of that stuff so I'll probably go through it soon and get rid of what I dont want.

Remove ads