What do you think about The World of Darkness

Crusadius

Adventurer
First WOD (with the new WOD being renamed the Chronicles of Darkness I don't feel the need to called it the Old World of Darkness anymore) game I purchased was Werewolf: The Apocalypse 1E. The first WOD game I played was Mage: The Ascension 1E (which switched to 2E within a few months). Best thing about the WOD was the lore. I acknowledge that the COD system is better, but nostalgia has got me by the short and curlies and consider the WOD is better despite problems with the system.

Rogerd1

Adventurer
Can you tell me a bit more about Hunter the Vigil? I really like the idea of normal humans hunting down the monsters of the night.
Hunter the Vigil made things real easy, across the boards. Monster powers were called Dread Powers, and various ones could be possessed by vampires, werewolves etc without needing to look at a separate book of powers. There were also mages, which had a tiered magic system - which I liked a lot.

Some factions used technology, kind of a BPRD type deal, some used monster parts and used them to imbue themselves with powers.

Due to it being five books, it was not beholden to any of the splat (supernatural books) and allows the GM to easily insert Strix, Infernals, Spirits, as well as God Machine.

There are also a sect of Hunters that have allegedly made a pact with Lucifer called Luciferage (Luciferg ?).

So if you wanted some Swamp thing like monster, it would be simple to do. As a result of this you could easily make some kind of Cosmic Horror type game if you wanted.

I played and STed during the first edition of WoD. Vampire the Masquerade was one of the best game I ever STed. But it needs to be with a limited amount of players and does require a lot of prep time. As a political game, the powers behind the scene require three to five level of writing beyond what is first view. A bit like who ajppears to rule, who rules, who really rules, who think she knows what is going on and who really knows and if there are spies and so on... The game started degrading when the players got a good grasp of the rules and knew where to put their precious points to make their vampire almost invincible.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I didn't care much for the Chronicles of Darkness, but there was one game made in this era that I thought was amazing. Promethean. Great stuff, darned hard to play with a group though.

As for which edition, well, in 1e, Celerity was super broken and guns were dangerous. In 2e, Celerity was mostly broken and guns were dangerous. In Revised, Celerity was still mostly broken and guns were laughable. In V20, Celerity is stronger but not to 1e levels, and guns are still a joke.

In 5e, I'm not sure how powerful Celerity is, but I'm pretty sure guns are dangerous again.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Several members of my gaming group asked if I would consider running a MAGE: The Ascension (20th-anniversary edition) game for them last year. As they explained the system of magic, I got excited. The lore for MAGE was pretty good, though I didn't plan on sticking to Canon. But the rules were just heavier than I wanted to deal with. The fact that they were not well organized and required my purchasing additional aids just to be able to figure out how to run the game didn't help. A mixture of overly arcane and complicated rules, poor organization, and the fact that the game requires a lot of effort on the GM's part to put together a campaign ("chronicle") led me to apologize after two sessions and end the campaign because I just didn't have the time to prep it and didn't enjoy running it.

I would love to PLAY in a MtA game, but I have no interest in running it.

In my initial rush of enthusiasm, I also backed their WoD Ghost Hunters Kickstarter. I just didn't find it compelling and I find the pages and pages of stories and lore tiresome. That said, even though MtA suffered from the same short-story bloat, I actually enjoyed reading it. MtA offers an interesting setting and some interesting approaches to Magic, but you have to be willing to make a significant investment of time to grok the system well enough to run a game.

Never played Vampire the Masquerade. I was getting out of gaming when I started college (time demands, new interests). But I remember friends getting really into it in the early 90s. Yet, I remember it more as a LARP game for horny goths. Hanging out with deadheads at parties in the country was more my vibe at the time, so I never participated in any of the VtM games/parties.

Rogerd1

Adventurer
Several members of my gaming group asked if I would consider running a MAGE: The Ascension (20th-anniversary edition) game for them last year. As they explained the system of magic, I got excited. The lore for MAGE was pretty good, though I didn't plan on sticking to Canon. But the rules were just heavier than I wanted to deal with. The fact that they were not well organized and required my purchasing additional aids just to be able to figure out how to run the game didn't help. A mixture of overly arcane and complicated rules, poor organization, and the fact that the game requires a lot of effort on the GM's part to put together a campaign ("chronicle") led me to apologize after two sessions and end the campaign because I just didn't have the time to prep it and didn't enjoy running it.
You could try the Hunter the Vigil Witchfinders, which is essentially Mage without the massive lore, and heavy amount of rules.

It is just a lot simpler all around, and without the next to purchase numerous books.

MNblockhead

Oh, another thing about WoD that didn't work for my GMing style. Being set in the modern area, based on real-world locations was actually a lot more work for me than inventing an entire fantasy location out of whole cloth. I guess its my obsessive nature, but I went down a huge rabbit hole of researching city maps, history, occult history and lore, etc. I actually enjoyed that but it just wasn't sustainable time-wise.

MNblockhead

You could try the Hunter the Vigil Witchfinders, which is essentially Mage without the massive lore, and heavy amount of rules.

It is just a lot simpler all around, and without the next to purchase numerous books.
Cool. Will check it out. But at this point, I really only have time to run my current D&D campaign. Would love to play in a WoD game though. I'll have to check the Roll20 find-a-game page to see if anyone is running one-shots or mini campaigns.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Oh, another thing about WoD that didn't work for my GMing style. Being set in the modern area, based on real-world locations was actually a lot more work for me than inventing an entire fantasy location out of whole cloth. I guess its my obsessive nature, but I went down a huge rabbit hole of researching city maps, history, occult history and lore, etc. I actually enjoyed that but it just wasn't sustainable time-wise.
White Wolf has some very good city books, although most are, unfortunately, in the Vampire line. There are a few crossover chronicles, like Dark Alliance: Vancouver. Really, what I did to solve this problem was I made a fictional city that was based on ones I knew pretty well, so I could fill it with history and locations, but nobody could call me out on my lack of research.

Also, and this is important, the World of Darkness is like our world, but is not our world. There are going to be discrepancies- we didn't have a Week of Nightmares, for example.

Having said that, I'm a fantasy gamer at heart, so while there are advantages to a "modern" setting, sometimes I want castles and knights. White Wolf has several historical sub-settings, such as Dark Ages: Vampire, The Sorcerer's Crusade, Werewolf: The Old West, and Victorian Age: Vampire. You can just as easily run the game in any of these eras, or at the dawn of history!

As the Dark Ages books point out, dragons and other monsters used to be more common in the past, but as humans stopped believing in them, they basically all vanished. So the sky is the limit here (except not, because the God-Machine chronicle has a snippet about vampires having been ancient space travelers!).

Now that all having been said, the main reason, obviously, to buy into the World of Darkness is it's lore. So I can understand not wanting to go nuts. But you can!

As for Mage...man. I bought a ton of Mage books because I thought the setting was so cool. It really evokes movies like Dark City and The Matrix! But it turned out to be hard for my play group to grok, and then there's how magic works for the Awakened. Think of anything you want to do! Then the Storyteller decides if you have the right Spheres at the right levels, you roll a tiny die pool of Arete at a really high diff, and if you succeed, hey magic! Of course, if you botch, and maybe you didn't rationalize your "magic" away correctly and a normal human saw you ("weather baloons? swamp gas? come on now!") you accrue Paradox.

Enough of that, and you might as well dust off the old Wild Magic Surge Results tables from 2e...

Remove ads