• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you think the new setting will be, from Ampersand?

Which setting do you hope is released for 4th ed, next?

• Spelljammer

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 119 67.2%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • Planescape

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Al-Qadim (Arabian adventures)

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • Kara-tur (Eastern adventures)

Votes: 16 9.0%

• Poll closed .

Nymrohd

First Post
Well I would not mind if WoD made a 4E WoW RPG to be honest, it has good potential as a game world for D&D. And some of the Magic worlds have a lot of interesting flavor (though I'd rather not see Dominaria in favor of one of the later blocks, like Ravnica or even Lorwyn). I for one think it will be Dragonlance at this point, mainly because several people over at those forums seem to be certain DL will get a 4E treatment at some point soon and it arguably is more active in novels than Eberron. I'd like Dark Sun as well, but I don't mind waiting for it after all the relevant classes are out. A rebooted Greyhawk would also be awesome.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Look at the perfect Raveloft movie, "Sleepy Hollow". That is how Ravenloft feels to me, as opposed to the ealier "FR characters get drawn into gothic setting".

To me, Sleepy Hollow feels more like WFRP, but I can totally see it as a Ravenloft thing as well.

/M

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Personally, I'd then require a vomit bowl the size of a bath tub, personally! :( :devil:
ick,what a horrible thought, you evil, evil person you!! ;)

You are both Very Bad Men! For Shame, Sirs! For Shame!:blush::hmm:
It was just a random thought that entered my brain. I don't even play Magic.

I just remembered during 3rd Edition's initial push that the idea of M:TG as a 3e setting came up but that most fans rejected the idea because they didn't believe the style of M:TG was compatible with 3e. Well, 4e is a very different game so perhaps M:TG is more compatible with it than 3e.

I wasn't trying to start a D&D vs. M:TG war. Honest. :-S :erm: :eek:

Asmor

First Post
I just had a crazy thought...

What if the new campaign setting isn't one of the old TSR settings but is the world of Magic: The Gathering? :hmm:

There isn't a "world of Magic: The Gathering" any more than there's a "world of Dungeons & Dragons."

Dominia is a multiverse with countless planes. There's sort of a "core group" of planes which interacted in an overarching story for a long time. Specifically, Dominaria was the original setting of Magic in 1993 and featured heavily in the game's storyline through the release of Scourge, 10 years later. That storyline also included Phyrexia, Rath, and some others I don't know off the top of my head.

However, the very first expansion for Magic, Arabian Nights, took place in the plane of Rabiah which had no ties at the time and as far as I'm aware has never been revisited since.

Mirrodin was only tenuously connected to the events in Dominaria (a dominarian planeswalker named Karn planted the seeds of Mirrodin). Ravnica and Kamigawa are completely unrelated with each other or any other planes. I don't know anything about the planes of the most recent sets, Lorwyn and Alara, but I'm pretty sure they're largely independent as well.

Dominaria and Lorwyn are largely "traditional" fantasy settings. Ravnica is a planet covered entirely by a massive city. Mirrodin is a world where everything is partially mechanical, and even the seas are made of quicksilver. Kamigawa is an oriental fantasy, Rabiah is Arabian fantasy.

On top of that, the planes are not necessarily static. Mirage took place on Dominaria, but on a continent known as Jamuraa which was based heavily in African imagery and lore. The Ice Age block took place during, well, a magical Ice Age on Dominaria, and feel wise it was very different from the normal Dominaria.

So what I'm saying is there's quite a bit of variety there. Personally, I'd welcome a book based on a Magic setting, but I believe they've said in the past that that's never going to happen. Particularly, I'd like to have a Brothers War-era Dominaria setting or a Ravnica setting.

I've even gone so far as to adapt some Magic things to D&D, specifically slivers and the Ravnican guilds

Personally, I'd then require a vomit bowl the size of a bath tub, personally! :( :devil:
ick,what a horrible thought, you evil, evil person you!! ;)

Pray tell, what specific objections do you have to a setting based on any of the Magic: The Gathering planes? Assuming your revulsion is anything other than a kneejerk reaction.

Last edited:

The Little Raven

First Post
That being said, unless they've switched PHB3 from psionic to Power Source Asian, maybe not. :)

We've been told that in May we'll see the Monk, which will be of the Ki power source and in the PHB3.

I hope to see Dark Sun or possibly Greyhawk, if Mike Mearls' homebrew version is a glimpse of the way they are going.

TwinBahamut

First Post
I honestly wouldn't mind seeing a Magic: The Gathering derived D&D setting. If nothing else, it would bring some interesting new concepts to D&D settings that would help it break outside of the normal limitations of D&Disms. Of course, I also wouldn't mind seeing a Magic block that took a lot of inspiration from D&D. Actually, combining the two and creating a specific plane within the Magic cosmology that contains all the tropes of a D&D setting, and using it as the basis for both a block of Magic cards and a D&D setting book would probably work pretty well. That way, you could have a setting that had distinctly D&D creatures like Dragonborn and Eldarin alongside distinctly Magic creatures like Vedalkyn and Leonin.

The interesting part of all of this is that it lets you mix D&D stuff with the Magic color wheel, which is always a fun thought experiment for me.

Remove ads