• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you think when DM introduces old PC as an NPC?

As a player what is your reaction when a DM introduces an NPC that is an old PC?

• Oh no!! Eeek!!

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • This can't be good

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Sigh...well it might not suck

Votes: 43 14.2%
  • okay, let's see where he goes with it

Votes: 145 48.0%
  • if it is his favorite it should be good

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Awesome, it must be being introduced for a great reason

Votes: 45 14.9%

Tarangil

First Post
I have had DMs use old PC's on occasion and have run into what was feared the most...the rest of us being observers or henchmen to the guy.

I have used my PC's as NPC's, but I try to have a good reason for it or a good story hook. Currently I'm doing it right now. The NPC had buddied up with the PC"s and journeyed to the same place for them to be separated in combat and the NPC taken prisoner. Really it was up for the others to decide to help the guy or go on thier own merry way.

More often than not if I usually have a chance to play I find myself choosing to play an old NPC as a PC instead. By then They're usually pretty fleshed out with a personality and background.

Cevalic

First Post
I have no problem with it. All the DM's that I've ever played under have done this. I've used old PC's as NPC's in my games. As long as they stay in the background (doing whatever they were doing when they retired) there should be no problem. When the DM uses his old characters and basically plays them as if he was a player, thats when I'd pack up my dice.

Remove ads