D&D (2024) What do you want & expect to see in 2024's 5.5e?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The swordmage could be the arcane paladin or ranger. Half caster and then go from there. Maybe having a generic half caster with subclasses for paladin, ranger and swordmage could work. Depends on how much weight subclasses are allowed to have. I think, they might get a bigger design space for all classes. And start at level 1.
Hexblade warlock. Swap CHA for INT. Swap the level 6 specter ability for the Archfey misty step. You’re 80-90% to a swordmage.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Perception should be an always passive ability. The search action should just temporarily raise your Passive Perception by a set number (5, perhaps, or your Proficiency Bonus).
Hmm, I like this. I hadn't thought of that before. But maybe actively searching should involve your Investigation (so, Int mod + PB, if you're proficient). With guidelines to try to prevent DMs from making the DCs too high on purpose.

Olrox17

Hero
Hexblade warlock. Swap CHA for INT. Swap the level 6 specter ability for the Archfey misty step. You’re 80-90% to a swordmage.
Well, no, not really. The 5e Hexblade does attempt to recreate the 4e Hexblade (and doesn't do a stellar job at it, unfortunately). The 4e Swordmage is very different: the at-will Aegis of shielding/Aegis of assault to either protect allies or hound enemies relentlessly, unarmored but constantly warded by magic, the great emphasis on teleporting yourself and others, enemies included, the ability to modify at-will bladespells in several ways with the white lotus feats...they were very unique.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Well, no, not really. The 5e Hexblade does attempt to recreate the 4e Hexblade (and doesn't do a stellar job at it, unfortunately). The 4e Swordmage is very different: the at-will Aegis of shielding/Aegis of assault to either protect allies or hound enemies relentlessly, unarmored but constantly warded by magic, the great emphasis on teleporting yourself and others, enemies included, the ability to modify at-will bladespells in several ways with the white lotus feats...they were very unique.
Yeah. I’m aware. I played a swordmage for the majority of 4E. Most fun I’d had playing D&D in ages. The stuff you’re pointing out is the rest of that 80-90%. Some of it’s in spell selection, some in other class abilities, and some just isn’t part of 5E.

Yaarel

He Mage
The 5e Hexblade has the Warlock spellcasting mechanic that is suitable for a Swordmage because it is a fullcaster that can attain the highest-tier spells.

Similarly, the Warlock spellcasting makes sense for Psion too.

Wizard, Bard, Cleric, and Druid are different classes that use the same spellcasting method.

Likewise, Warlock, Swordmage, and Psion could be different classes that uses the same spellcasting method.

I could see them changing some classes that get less subclass like Bards abilities to get maybe 1 more subclass ability. It might break other existing Bard subclasses (and I think College of Valor will just be replaced by College of Swords), but maybe there could be a substitution added in for those unconverted subclasses.

I think the Weapon Attack Cantrips like Green Flame Blade and Booming Blade could be in the new PHB, those are popular cantrips for many.

There could be an effort to move some spells like Eldritch Blast and Hunter's Mark into class features, as those are often quite central to Warlocks and Rangers.

Monk could get something like more Ability Score Increases to address the complaints the class is really MAD, along with Martial Arts being less complicated.

Maybe an attempt to open up maneuvers and superiority die to places beyond just the Battlemaster.

Yaarel

He Mage
There seems a shift away from per-short-rest features and toward proficiency-bonus-times-per-long-rest.

Can this work for the Warlock too, so that the two or so spell slots refresh instead depending on the proficiency bonus?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
The 5e Hexblade has the Warlock spellcasting mechanic that is suitable for a Swordmage because it is a fullcaster that can attain the highest-tier spells.

Similarly, the Warlock spellcasting makes sense for Psion too.

Wizard, Bard, Cleric, and Druid are different classes that use the same spellcasting method.

Likewise, Warlock, Swordmage, and Psion could be different classes that uses the same spellcasting method.
It could be, but not as long as the continue expecting the gm to balance sort rest & long rest classes against adventuring day assumptions blatantly in conflict with how people play/run the game & how wotc's own adventures are structured.

Remove ads