D&D (2024) What do you want & expect to see in 2024's 5.5e?

They have 1000% signaled that the answer is 'by making it worse'.
That should not be so bad, it is a private business not the government!
But we can have reasons to be doubtful.
5ed have been built during time of needs.
Now they are back on top, they can take it too cool, and mess things again!
They have concern now of large market scale, and expert players that we see here can be forget a bit.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
residum from 4e could come back
I remember it but residum was too monolithic & still basically just GP. Finding xxxgp of residum was xxx gp of whatever residuum was for but finding 6 pounds of $specific general component or 100 pounds of a different one is going to be limited to their relevant umbrellas of spells rather than any spell. Having each spell have one off components listed only in the individual spell rather than having all spells drawing from a handful of generic pricy stuff makes it too difficult for anyone to realize on the spot without the gm sating "by the way guys that's used as the component in HINTHINTHINTTHISSPECIFICSPELLHINTHINTHINT". Think of the difference between giving players a large sum of diamonds everyone knows are needed for raise dead type spells & almost any other material components. Srttings like Eberron & Darksun could have their own lists & economies without needing to one off all the spells & such that way.

Last edited:

Greg K

Legend
This is off the top of my head and I may expand later: Some of the things that I want.
  1. PHB
    1. Cover Levels 1-10 or 1-12 (save higher levels for another book)
    2. Darkvision: Go back to Night VIsion and Dark VIsion
    3. Races (expand later)
      1. Separate the biological aspects from culture (and, in most instances, environment which can be a third choice of options)
      2. Add Goblin, Orc, Lizardman to races
      3. Tasha's Racial Ability Score Modifier change as sidebar
    4. Subclasses at first level. If not, class variants at first level with skill substitutions and variant class abilities (see below)
    5. Classes
      1. Barbarian
        1. variant: Urban/ Civilized Barbarian: There are examples of characters in literature and film whom are city-dwellers and nobles. Should provide optional modifier to class skill list and one or two Berserker features to reflect this.
      2. Bard
        1. keep full caster
        2. variant: Martial Bard: gets Medium and Martial Weapons
        3. add Colleges: Cantor (divine bard), Troubador (Roguish Bard)
      3. Cleric
        1. Additional choice at level 1 dealing with Armor and Weapon Proficiency:
          1. Cloistered/Monastic Priest (Robed, Simple Weapons),
          2. Mendicant Priest (warndering beggar priest),
          3. Itinerrant Travelling Priest (light armor/)
          4. Templar/Martial Priest
          5. Smaller genreal base list shared by all clerics: Spells dealing with Bless/ Curse/ Remove Curse, Communicating with deity (e.g., Augury, Divination), Planar Ally
        2. Channel Divinity (to be expanded later)
      4. Figher
        1. variant: Light Armor Fighter
        2. add Fighting Styles from later books
        3. add Martial Archetypes: Archer, Bodyguard, Brawler/ Pugilist, Commander/ Strategist, Corsair/ Pirate, Duelist/ Fencer, Gallant, Hoplite, Horse Archer, Lancer, Kensei, Musketeer, Swashbuckler, Templar (Divine version of Eldritch Knight), Warrior Monk (non-spellcasting ki user)
      5. Monk (expand later)
        1. add variant: Iron Body Monk
        2. add some maneuvers for style variation
        3. some things should not require ki
        4. more choice in ki abiliites
      6. Paladin (expand later)
      7. Ranger
        1. Rewrite base class as non-spellcasting outdoor willderness warrior survivalist (AgenderArcee at Reddit/Unearthed Arcana and GM Binder has a good model class for this)
        2. add variant: Urban Ranger, Spell-less
      8. Rogue
        1. add variants: Academic Rogue, Wilderness Rogue
        2. add archetypes: Acrobat, Charlatan/Swindler, Mastermind, Scout
      9. Sorcerer
        1. add expanded spell lists for all Origins
        2. add new Origins: Arcane Bloodline, Fey Bloodline
      10. Warlock (expand later)
      11. Wizard (expand later)
    6. Classes (New)
      1. Arcane Warrior: Arcane counterpart to Paladin and Ranger
      2. Scholar
      3. Shaman
      4. Warlord
      5. Witch
    7. Magic & Spells (expand later)
  2. Dungeon Master's Guide
    1. add expanded downtime rules
    2. add variant: Skill Points
    3. add variant: Armor as Damage Resistance

Last edited:

Vaalingrade

Legend
Ok, but "enhancement" is almost the opposite of "innate".
You're talking to a man with glasses, fillings and an implant. I feel like my cybernetics are pretty innate to me at this point.

Also, it's pretty on trope for naturally powered individuals to use aides. Cyclops' visor, gandalf's staff, the Metals from Mistborn, etc, etc.

Remove ads