D&D 5E What do you want out of crafting rules?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I will say that while I’m all for simplicity, it would be fun to have ingredient lists organized by tags, like fire, arcane, transmutation, etc.

literally just for fun. Flavor text is good for the game.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I think the first and most important thing is something that was said earlier. If I am playing a crafter, that should matter.

If I am playing an Outlander I can gather food for the party in the wilds.
If I am playing a Sage I can find information for the party in the cities.
If I am playing an Acolyte then I have connections to the church.

Currently, if I am playing a Guild Artisan, I spend monthly dues in exchange for a lawyer. That's it. If I were to compare a 20th level Fighter crafting his own longsword for his personal use, and a 1st level fighter buying a longsword, what is the current difference? The 20th level character has an extra 7 gold and 5 silver.

Being a crafter should matter. Kibblestasty has a system where a blacksmith can maintain weapons, allowing them to give a number of rerolls to the weapon equal to proficiency. This is a solid ability that makes a party with a blacksmith different than a party without one.

I also want the ability to make something "unique", I want to be able to improvise and ask "hey, I had this idea..." and have some capability to make something not in the Core Books.

Following all this... yeah, I want to be able to sell my products for a profit. I like the fantasy merchant archetype, and if I can't make a profit with my goods, then it makes no sense that any craftperson can. IF a cobbler is going into debt by making shoes, they stop making shoes.

Cooking definitely needs to be a thing.

And finally, it needs to be fast enough to be worth the effort. As an example, My DM allowed me to take materials from a boss we fought, and I needed certain magical components to make the item from those components. It was to be a special Belt of Hill Giant Strength. We fought this hill giant at level... 4? Pretty sure it was four, because I think we got level five for that victory. We are now level 9, and I've finally finished the Belt. I still don't know what it does, but what was an amazing opportunity for our Barbarian is now pointless because she already has a 20 str. This was a really cool opportunity to turn a boss into equipment, a guy we had a whole arc fighting, and now it is... hopefully not entirely pointless for me to give to a sidekick.

And this is a serious problem. The longer it takes to make the item, the more powerful it has to be, because if it takes me four levels and nearly a year and half of RL time to make this item, and it ends up being not worth the time and effort, then the entire system is pointless.

This is why I HATE the crafting in the PHB for things like legendary items. I could start trying to make one at the beginning of the campaign and still not finish by the end of the campaign. And I shouldn't have started on the most powerful and difficult item in the game just so I can actually get it before the end of then game.

Remove ads