D&D 5E What do you want to see in Monster Manual Expanded IV?

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
Hi, I just want to share a decision I made earlier this year regarding MME IV.

I promised to release MME IV in late 2023 but I have decided to pause my work on it. This is due to two reasons:

1. The announcement of the OneD&D/5.5 revision of the official books that will come out in 2024. It would be wise for me to wait until I get my hands on a copy of the new MM so I can review the new styles and standards and apply them. As you are probably aware, releasing a book and then having it prepped for Print-on-Demand is a long tedious process. And then having to do it all over again because of needed revisions and updates is a time-consuming headache.

2. Circumstances have changed and now with the announcement of the planned D&D Beyond marketplace, this has left us 3rd party DMsGuild developers slightly vulnerable. Even with the official statement that OGL/SRD will stay, we have no idea yet how that new marketplace will work (and if even DMsGuild will be allowed to continue). Thus, I will wait for more concrete details about WoTC's plans before I continue working on MME IV.

So for now, I am focused on releasing Volume I of Dragonix's Deadly Denizens, an annual collection of the monthly bestiary you can acquire by subscribing to my Patreon.

In fact, some of the creatures I've planned to be part of MME IV I have now moved to Dragonix's Deadly Denizens (fiendish dragons, half-fiend templates, etc.). Some of these were actually ideas I got from this thread. Basically, any OGL/SRD-legal creature will now be placed in Dragonix's Deadly Denizens while those that require a DM's Guild license will be part of MME IV.

So fret not, you will still get a new bestiary this year (in the form of Dragonix's Deadly Denizens Volume I) via DrivethruRPG (very soon!) and, if my Patreon continues to grow, you'll get a new volume every year. You can expect the same level of quality and artwork from the MME series.

Cover 2.png

Scottius

Adventurer
Hi, I just want to share a decision I made earlier this year regarding MME IV.

I promised to release MME IV in late 2023 but I have decided to pause my work on it. This is due to two reasons:

1. The announcement of the OneD&D/5.5 revision of the official books that will come out in 2024. It would be wise for me to wait until I get my hands on a copy of the new MM so I can review the new styles and standards and apply them. As you are probably aware, releasing a book and then having it prepped for Print-on-Demand is a long tedious process. And then having to do it all over again because of needed revisions and updates is a time-consuming headache.

2. Circumstances have changed and now with the announcement of the planned D&D Beyond marketplace, this has left us 3rd party DMsGuild developers slightly vulnerable. Even with the official statement that OGL/SRD will stay, we have no idea yet how that new marketplace will work (and if even DMsGuild will be allowed to continue). Thus, I will wait for more concrete details about WoTC's plans before I continue working on MME IV.

So for now, I am focused on releasing Volume I of Dragonix's Deadly Denizens, an annual collection of the monthly bestiary you can acquire by subscribing to my Patreon.

In fact, some of the creatures I've planned to be part of MME IV I have now moved to Dragonix's Deadly Denizens (fiendish dragons, half-fiend templates, etc.). Some of these were actually ideas I got from this thread. Basically, any OGL/SRD-legal creature will now be placed in Dragonix's Deadly Denizens while those that require a DM's Guild license will be part of MME IV.

So fret not, you will still get a new bestiary this year (in the form of Dragonix's Deadly Denizens Volume I) via DrivethruRPG (very soon!) and, if my Patreon continues to grow, you'll get a new volume every year. You can expect the same level of quality and artwork from the MME series.

View attachment 284969
As an owner of all three volumes of MME and a patron I'm very interested to see how things go forward. Personally I'm no longer running D&D 5e due to all the issues with WOTC and have no interest in 1D&D/5.5/6e either as a result. That said, I still plan to continue picking up your monster books and being a patron since they should convert over easily enough to Black Flag/Tales of the Valiant from Kobold when it comes out.

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
As an owner of all three volumes of MME and a patron I'm very interested to see how things go forward. Personally I'm no longer running D&D 5e due to all the issues with WOTC and have no interest in 1D&D/5.5/6e either as a result. That said, I still plan to continue picking up your monster books and being a patron since they should convert over easily enough to Black Flag/Tales of the Valiant from Kobold when it comes out.

Much appreciated, Scottius! Thank you! :)

Atropus.

Villager
I highly doubt you’re looking anymore, but if you’d like any more suggestions then the Elder Evils from the 3rd edition book “Elder Evils” are some of the best creature stateblocks and Ideas there’s ever been and seeing a few of them get 5e equivalents would be awesome!

Remove ads