D&D 5E What Does a Strength 20 Look Like (In Real Life)?

Well, I'll try to explain why. (But buckle up, I'm a scientist, engineer, and a statistics nerd in real life. I can go on about this stuff for days...I'm often paid to do exactly that!)

First of all, I agree with you: he could have lots of things, game-wise. But we don't know any of that for certain. Sure, we can make assumptions and educated guesses, but even the best assumptions introduce a margin of error...possibly even compounding error, if we start making assumptions that rely on other assumptions. We assume proficiency, then assume a class level which modifies that proficiency bonus, then assume enough class levels to also assume feats that also adjust other things...we are multiplying error upon error. This isn't helpful, because the more guesswork we use, the more wrong we are likely to be.*

So for the lowest margin of error, we would use the rule that requires us to make the fewest assumptions for missing data--not what we "can safely assume," not stuff that "feels right," but data...things that have been measured and recorded.*

The only data we have is the distance he jumped. We have very good data, to: carefully-measured, verified, and reviewed data. We know that he jumped 8.95 meters, and that's really the only number we have here in the real world that is also in the Player's Handbook. All else would be conjecture and assumption, and therefore unreliable...and that's the long-winded answer to your question.*

Again, I do agree with you: he could have lots of things, game-wise. And if he were a D&D character, he certainly would. (Well, unless he's an NPC, in which case he might not have levels. And we don't know if our DM lets us use Feats and Multiclassing either, or...) But Mike Powell is not a D&D character, he's a human athlete...and a very impressive one! I'm not trying to create a Mike Powell 5E character sheet; I'm trying to picture what the D&D rules look like in real-life, and how incredible these athletes look through that lens. Imagine: there are humans walking among us who are stronger than the giants and dragons of D&D!

*Yes, this is a stretch. These are rules for a tabletop roleplaying game, not the Second Law of Thermodynamics. All of D&D 's rules are going to look absolutely absurd when compared to real life, and one moogle's absurdity is another's doctrine. It is laughable to think that the rules for Long Jump are somehow 'closer to real life' than the rules for a multiclassed Fighter/Monk. All I'm asking is that folks laugh with me here: you asked me why I wanted to use one ridiculous equation instead of a different equally-ridiculous equation, and I'm trying to give a serious and thoughtful answer.

I don't mind, except that after a while it starts to feel like I'm being credited (blamed?) for what is written in the rules. I didn't create the rules for Long Jump, and I'm not adding or removing anything to them. Clearly the equation is problematic, but it's not my equation to fix. 🤷‍♂️

Right, so by this logic when we see an elite Special Forces solider hauling heavy loads long distances, resisting interrogation, and hitting targets in dim light with his rifle at 300 yards, it's all down to his Strength, Con, Wis, and Dex and has nothing to do with his training, proficiencies, and class features?

Every single example you've put forward so far are elite, professional athletes. They're not lifting, running or jumping based on inherent strength alone. They've literally received specialized training over years, and are professionals.

Like our Special Forces solider, they would have training and experience (class levels, XP, proficiencies and feats) that contribute to the feats you are putting forward as examples.

Their game just has a feat that does this:

You gain the Remarkable Athlete feature (as a Champion) and gain proficiency in Athletics or Acrobatics. If you already have proficiency in this skill, you instead double your proficiency bonus in it. Finally you double your lifting and carrying capacity.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Their game just has a feat that does this:

You gain the Remarkable Athlete feature (as a Champion) and gain proficiency in Athletics or Acrobatics. If you already have proficiency in this skill, you instead double your proficiency bonus in it. Finally you double your lifting and carrying capacity.

No, I think it's this:

You gain one or more magical sigils that you attach to your clothing or armor, with words of power prominently displayed. While those symbols are visible, you double your proficiency bonus in Athletics and Acrobatics. You also find more gold on defeated enemies.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
No, I think it's this:

You gain one or more magical sigils that you attach to your clothing or armor, with words of power prominently displayed. While those symbols are visible, you double your proficiency bonus in Athletics and Acrobatics. You also find more gold on defeated enemies.
Like the Nike swoosh, or the Reebok logo...

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
With all respect to Hathor and Eddie Hall
No that's highly unreasonable. That's supernatural, It's beyond supernatural. It's literally stronger than a Grizzly, and is stronger than an Elephant.

Sure it is. Hathor and other strongmen are stronger than natural human genetic potential allows. They have top flight genetics, training and most importantly special supplements.

With all respect to Hathor and Eddie Hall

Sure it is. Hathor and other strongmen are stronger than natural human genetic potential allows. They have top flight genetics, training and most importantly special supplements.

The way I see it, Hathor has a Strength of 18.

When your PC fighter has a Strength of 20, he's even stronger than Hathor, which is the way it should be.

Going about it the other way, is simply condemning your PC Fighter to the 'guy in the gym' fallacy, where despite being an epic hero of legend, he's always coming up short against some meathead down the gym.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
The way I see it, Hathor has a Strength of 18.

When your PC fighter has a Strength of 20, he's even stronger than Hathor, which is the way it should be.

Going about it the other way, is simply condemning your PC Fighter to the 'guy in the gym' fallacy, where despite being an epic hero of legend, he's always coming up short against some meathead down the gym.

I'll address the larger point later, but can we please not resort to stereotyping strength athletes and recreational lifters? The meathead thing is really not cool.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases