• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What does "Railroading" actually mean!? Discount Code on Page 8

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Is a dungeon. Dungeons are prime examples or railroad adventures. In this case the rails are the actual physical walls of the rooms and passages.
A dungeon is only a railroad if you can't leave. If you can go one room in, decide it's not worth the time or effort and walk out, you are not being railroaded by it. It's entirely the choice of the party to go in, not go in, complete, or partially complete the dungeon.

You play a sandbox game, as you have described. You expect your players to be proactive and go looking for adventure no?

Try having a table where three of the four players are completely passive and expect you to provide everything from motivation on downwards and see how long your sandbox lasts. :D
There is rumor of a group of pc that spend three years in a inn, drinking beer and playing cards!

If you mean me I have already pointed out that this is false. There is no rule for a character arc. There is no rule that ever forces you to change playbook. It simply gives you the opportunity to and a consequence heavy game, and the players all took this suggestion up with me only feeding it to one of them (the "bleed out into your mask" one). There was nothing saying that the creepy psychic being left for dead couldn't actually have stayed a creepy psychic although there would have been a permanent wound. And the only thing that made the cult leader stop being a cult leader was the roleplaying - and the mechanics being fluid enough to be able to allow him to stop being a cult leader in the mechanics as well.

For you to think that because players found character arcs compelling and to flow naturally out of both the system and the specific game they must be forced is something I can understand. But it is not true and I have already said it is not true. Now please stop saying it is.
No I was not refering to you at all. I was refering to Paul Farquhar who was quoting me on an other post. Check the quotes friend. Your explanations were well received and appreciated. Still not my cup of tea but to each his own.

you are the only one using an analogy here
So, we are talking about literal railroads then?
1594998710149.png

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads