Critical Role [+] What does Wildemount do that Forgotten Realms doesn't?

3catcircus

Adventurer
For 20-somethings that listen to the podcast, I'm sure they love it. I looked at it and didn't purchase it. It's a vanilla setting and I have all I need in the form of Aereth (I also have Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms with all of its add-ons, Kalamar, Mystara, Dragonlance, Eberron).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This one caught my eye. Could you expand? Better in what way?

Well, there is a distinct mythological narrative and metaphysical framework at work (the Dawn War from the Nentir Vale in 4E, expanded slightly) that ties the various gods to each other and the mortal world, both Good and Evil, Lawful and Chaotic alike. I don't think I'd say it's "better" than the FR per se, but it is focused and has great story hooks built into the structure of the mythos.

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer
In my opinion, the meaning of the setting is really different.
In Wildemount we have two empires at war. The first is humanocentric, traditional, lawful but narrow-minded, doesn't accept diversity, and thinks of other people as "evil" "monsters". Religion is used to enforce this traditional, regressive way of living.
They need to open up to the fact that different people are, well, just people. Dark elves, goblins and bugbears... must be accepted as such. In fact, the Truth is that the souls of living beings are reincarnated, after death, in different races: we really are not so different.

So, I really think that this is the message of CR Campaign 2 and, as a consequence, the Wildemount campaign.
Woke politics: it is a metaphor of contemporary USA. As a conservative myself, I strongly disagree with these ideas, but the concept is witty and the book is well done, so I'll buy the book anyway.

Brewhammer

Explorer
Wildemount (and the Tal'Dorei setting before it, the continent west of Wildemount, which was released a couple of years ago) are both extremely interesting and accessible to new players. I'd put PF's Golarion in the same boat, and even Kobold Press's Midgard. The lore and history aren't as dense as FR.

Heck, if I hadn't made my own campaign setting for the three games I am currently running I'd have ported Golarion into 5e and just adjusted a few things.

EDIT: Also interesting to note, regarding the pantheon in Exandria, is that Critical Role started as a Pathfinder game. When they switched to 5e for the show and it became popular, Pike worshipped Sarenrae. With the two CR source books now they've just changed Sarenrae's name (as well as the other gods.) So it's been fun to watch them go source-wise from PF then to D&D, which then allowed them to add in powers like the Raven Queen.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Wildemount (and the Tal'Dorei setting before it, the continent west of Wildemount, which was released a couple of years ago) are both extremely interesting and accessible to new players. I'd put PF's Golarion in the same boat, and even Kobold Press's Midgard. The lore and history aren't as dense as FR.

Heck, if I hadn't made my own campaign setting for the three games I am currently running I'd have ported Golarion into 5e and just adjusted a few things.

EDIT: Also interesting to note, regarding the pantheon in Exandria, is that Critical Role started as a Pathfinder game. When they switched to 5e for the show and it became popular, Pike worshipped Sarenrae. With the two CR source books now they've just changed Sarenrae's name (as well as the other gods.) So it's been fun to watch them go source-wise from PF then to D&D, which then allowed them to add in powers like the Raven Queen.

Fun fact: the home game started as a 4E game, using the PoL approach to campaign building. Like was added to the campaign after they switched to PF, so she took a goddess from the core book list and Mercer put her in the Pantheon.

Woke politics: it is a metaphor of contemporary USA. As a conservative myself, I strongly disagree with these ideas, but the concept is witty and the book is well done, so I'll buy the book anyway.
I purchased the book and I am slowly working my way through it. I have finished the section on the Dwendallion Empire, and it is worth mentioning that even if everything you write is true (which I don’t offer an opinion on), the Empire is portrayed pretty sympathetically.

Yes, there are some evil characters at the top, but the are also some good and neutral characters in the top posts, and the general theme for the Empire seems “if they continue on this path, things will get worse” rather than “these are cackling monsters you should destroy”.

On thing that I liked in the description of the factions is that both the head diplomat of the Empire and the head diplomat of the Cerberus Assembly are canonically Neutral Good, but they are also described as absolutely loathing each other and going out of their way to screw each other over (the Assembly because it is trying to gain power at the expense of the Empire, the Empire because no one likes having their plans disrupted for petty reasons).

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
I am liking what I'm reading. I'm only hesitant to use it because of the Critical Role Effect (aka Matt Mercer Method of Mastering). Because I don't run my games in that style of play. As I mentioned elsewhere: My games are more Adventure Zone than Critical Role. Lots of off-color jokes, puns, laughing, and lack of real seriousness.

I'd feel that I'd disappoint a new player coming in because I'm not doing it the CR/MM way. And I want all my players to have a great time.

Remove ads