• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What Exactly is a Weapon Attack?

Paraxis

Explorer
Beasts and therefore wild shaped druids natural attacks are called out as "weapon attacks" and thus combine with things like barbarian rage and increased critical range of champion fighters, I don't see any reason to not apply the same thinking to monk's unarmed strikes.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Doesn't it say, under the Monk entry, that their unarmed strikes are considered melee weapons?...thus making them a "weapon attack" to answer the OP.

Don't have my book in front of me at the mo'. But I could've sworn I read that.

Fralex

Explorer
Doesn't it say, under the Monk entry, that their unarmed strikes are considered melee weapons?...thus making them a "weapon attack" to answer the OP.

Don't have my book in front of me at the mo'. But I could've sworn I read that.

It definitely worked that way in 3.5e, but in this edition the distinction between manufactured weapons and natural weapons isn't very important.

Last edited:

DracoSuave

First Post
1-- Unarmed Strike IS considered a weapon under the rules.
2-- Monks do not get some other attack that isn't unarmed strike.
3-- What monks get is the ability to replace the damage of unarmed strike with a different die of damage. It's still an unarmed strike.

Therefore, monks' punching is a weapon attack.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads