D&D 5E What feat next? :)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Thanee said:
Extend Spell I had thought about, too, but at this level, her spells already have a very decent duration.

'course, the primary point of Extend Spell for the Cleric Archer is that it's a prerequisite for Persistent Spell...

-Hyp.

AlphaOmega

First Post
If I could play devil's advocate for your cleric...

Maybe you could take a non-combat feat... Alas, I don't have a specific suggestion but I've always wished players took more chances on their feats and picked something that gives flavor over a way to do more damage or cast more powerful spells...

You already said your PC is the only one NOT to die... the Gods must favor her... I'm sure there's a feat out there that speaks to that... just one opinion of many

Gaiden

Explorer
Feat suggestions:

Zen Archery - seems an obvious choice if your Wis nets you a +3 bonus over your Dex. Considering you have the Peraipt of Wisdom as well (not subject to dispels as cat's grace would - even if empowered) this would seem a better choice than precise shot (permanent +3 vs. conditional +4).

Great Fortitude - your For save sucks. At 14th level most failed For saves are going to kill you outright.

Quicken Turning - with all those multiply empowered eagle's splendors you might consider the option of being able to turn undead without taking an action. I have found this to be extremely useful. With Quicken Spell, 3.0 haste, and this feat, you can cast 2 spells, turn, and full attack all in the same round. That is pretty darn useful. Of course, this feat is going to be campaign dependent. If your DM does not present you with many undead than the usefulness begins to dwindle. Another thing to consider is your cleric level for turning. You have 10 levels and in fact that is usually all you need for the majority of undead.

Weapon Finesse - if you are regularly buffed with cat's graces, this will lend a nice option to enter into melee if you need to. You will also be able to take advantage of your extra d6 sneak attack dmg this way with your ring of blinking. This feat would really expand your diversity as a character. You already have the +1 rapier after all. Moreover, this combined with divine might, which I saw on your spell list, as well as divine agility (5th level slot in DotF) would grant you spring attacking options so that you could alternate between melee and missile as desired.

Extend Spell - applied to alot of AoE buff spells can be very effective for mass combats. As with Quicken Turning, this may or may not be useful to you. However, doubling the range of bless for example increases the AoE by 4 allowing you to encompass many many more allies that you otherwise could. As a cleric you have alot of directions to take with your spell selection. This would be nice to have if you were going in a direction different than your traditional archer buffing

Augment Summoning - same argument as extend spell

Thanee

First Post
AlphaOmega said:
If I could play devil's advocate for your cleric...

Maybe you could take a non-combat feat... Alas, I don't have a specific suggestion but I've always wished players took more chances on their feats and picked something that gives flavor over a way to do more damage or cast more powerful spells...

That would be something I'd like as well. If I were to increase her combat abilities, I'd probably go for Power Attack to get Divine Might, that would be a really powerful choice.

You already said your PC is the only one NOT to die... the Gods must favor her... I'm sure there's a feat out there that speaks to that... just one opinion of many

Well, she already has a PrC, which goes into that direction, being especially dedicated to her deity.

Extra Slot would be ok in that context, but it's a bit bland, altho pretty useful, I think.

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Gaiden said:
Great Fortitude - your For save sucks. At 14th level most failed For saves are going to kill you outright.

Sucks? It's usually around +18~20, which is higher than that of the ones with a good fortitude save and she has Death Ward, which cancels most Fort based spells anyways. Sure, there's always stuff like Disintegrate, but she still has an IMHO very decent Fort save, unless hit by a Mordenkainen's Disjunction (which happened last game (as a trap), of course.

With Quicken Spell, 3.0 haste, and this feat, you can cast 2 spells, turn, and full attack all in the same round.

Oh, we are not using 3.0 Haste, but a 3.5 version, which only applies to the caster, with Mass Haste being the same as 3.5 Haste.

If your DM does not present you with many undead than the usefulness begins to dwindle. Another thing to consider is your cleric level for turning.

Yep, that's why I don't think Turning feats are good, she can only turn weaker undead, which are no threat anyways.

Weapon Finesse

I considered that, but everyone except her and the mage are melee oriented, so the need for melee is rather low.

Extend Spell - applied to alot of AoE buff spells can be very effective for mass combats. As with Quicken Turning, this may or may not be useful to you. However, doubling the range of bless for example increases the AoE by 4 allowing you to encompass many many more allies that you otherwise could. As a cleric you have alot of directions to take with your spell selection. This would be nice to have if you were going in a direction different than your traditional archer buffing

Do you mean Widen Spell? Extend doesn't increase AoE, but duration. :)

Augment Summoning - same argument as extend spell

Hmm... is that the same as 3.5 with Spellfocus Conjuration as a Prerequisite?

Altho, one problem with summoning is, that it is really only good at the highest available spell levels usually, which she doesn't reach, because of the multiclassing.

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
I've posted some bits about her concept in the Rogue's Gallery now, maybe it helps to get some nice ideas! :)

And no, I won't take Exotic Weapon Proficiency: whip, nor Two-Weapon Fighting with repeating hand crossbows! ;) :p

I'm really looking mainly for a feat that does add something different, than merely combat bonuses (got enough of those already ;)), altho there are not many feats that do not in some way or another relate to combat.

Extend Spell might be worthwhile, and would fit to her being a follower of the god of time, but to be honest, she is already beyond the stage where it's really useful (in moderate levels).

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads