• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What game mechanics etc. do you, the DM, forbid?

Psion

Adventurer
Evilhalfling said:
No Pokemount

Good lord, how could I forget.

Paladins are not summoners. And the existence of a few abusive GMs who feel the need to trash the mount on a whim is not a good enough reason to taint the paladin with a flavor that is out of place for them.

Mercule

Adventurer
No pokemount. Ever. In fact, Paladin is a PrC, not a base class.

No oriental classes, including the monk.

No base class has an alignment restriction. That's part of what makes them a base class, not a PrC.

Cleric has been replaced with Hong's Priest class. Either way, there's no such thing as a godless priest/cleric. Look up "divine" in the dictionary. Anyone trying to apply the word to something not involving a god (or something "really nice", to be pedantic) is not speaking English. "Divine magic", by definition, is magic from a deity.

No substitution levels. Dumb concept. Races as classes are one of the things I least liked about OD&D. Bringing it back, even in part, is not a good thing.

Bows and crossbows flipped their crit range. The research I've done indicates that bows are more accurate when fired by a proficient user, but crossbows have more power.

No sorcerer. Not because I dislike the class, but because it's a bit pointless when using the spell-point system from UA.

No halflings. Don't much like gnomes, either, but I wanted to allow some sort of size small PC race. If I hadn't already had a PC gnome (a Spirit Shaman, either -- talk about no loving from the DM), all gnomes would have quietly morphed into whisper gnomes.

Arnwyn

First Post
I'm sure I have a lot more rules that I forbid, but here's what comes immediately to mind:

- no godless clerics
- no 3.5 cover rules (we use 3.0 cover)
- no rules from a book that the DM doesn't personally own

fiddlerjones

First Post
No godless clerics. Just none.
I don't allow classes that don't fit the setting (i.e. oriental classes, mostly).
If someone wants to PrC, check it with me, in fact, if they want to do much of anything non-core, check it with me.

For level-adjust races, usually nothing greater than a +1 adjust, and instead of being back a level, for every point of level adjust, the player takes a level of an NPC class. This keeps them from being screwed on BAB and HD (I guess I'd waive that rule if the race provides racial HD).

Staffan

Legend
Off the top of my head:
Abilities that ought to be mundane are not restricted to people with a certain class or feat. Anyone with enough skill can find traps (though notably, only rogues and rangers have Search as a class skill in the core rules), and anyone can track (but at -5 if you don't have the feat, though it's expressed as +5 to tracking DCs and having the Track feat give +5).
Power Attack gives half benefit with light weapons, and 1.5 times benefit with two-handed weapons.
No Greater Spell Focus. On the plus side, Spell Focus gives +2 by itself.
I'm considering having Adamantine halve the hardness of objects instead of ignoring it completely, but haven't made up my mind on that.
You die at -Con, and are staggered (only standard actions, take 1 point of damage from doing strenuous stuff) from 0 down to negative (Con bonus -1). So someone with Con 18 could still act at -3 hp, but falls unconscious and starts bleeding at -4.

That's pretty much it for the core rules, at least.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Mercule said:
Cleric has been replaced with Hong's Priest class. Either way, there's no such thing as a godless priest/cleric. Look up "divine" in the dictionary. Anyone trying to apply the word to something not involving a god (or something "really nice", to be pedantic) is not speaking English. "Divine magic", by definition, is magic from a deity.
Also there is no such thing as a college of wizardy or buying scrolls of an arcane spell. Look up "arcane" in a dictionary. Anyone trying to apply the word to something not involving secrecy and hidden knowlege is not speaking english. :p

Hey, run your game with or without what you want, but divine magic as used in D&D doesn't require a diety unless you as a DM rule it so. No need to get self righteous about a house rule in a RPG. :confused:

Sir Devria

First Post
Biggest problem is with "wish". I told my PCs (30LV+) that if they truly feel a need to use it that their wish is on the spot and SUBJECT TO ANY DISTORTIONS that i can fit into their wording. If they have a problem with that then to bad.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads