• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What game mechanics etc. do you, the DM, forbid?

Aus_Snow

First Post
Just as the title suggests, but it specifically applies to any type of game mechanic or ruling in any source that you otherwise allow the use of, with that source also *not being a 'toolkit' book* (such as Unearthed Arcana by WotC, or the Advanced Player's Guide by S&S).

Oh yeh, and if you feel so inclined. . . why are these things forbidden - are they 'broken' in theory, or in practise, or are they inappropriate for some other reason. . . (etc.) ?

Last edited:

Kahuna Burger

First Post
As a dm, I don't allow follow-up attacks off of AoO (such as improved trip or cleave) and I don't exclude non rogue classes from using search and disable device to their full capacity.

The most common one I've seen mentioned is DMs who do not allow godless clerics, though most don't seem to view it as removing a standard option. (There was the misaprehension on LEW as well that they were an idea which had to be approved rather than right there in the core rules....)

Bagpuss

Legend
Playing Iron Kingdoms...

Not allowed....

Greatcoats (unbalanced)
Cleft Blades (same reason)
Mechaniks (rules radically changed)
Human attribute adjustments, but we kept the skill bonuses.
Ranger Favour Enemy being any PC race.
Sharpshooter Feat was restricted to Firearms only (sensible change really).

From Core...

No flat-footed at the start of combat if you are aware of the opponent before hand.

Number of other changes, don't agree with all of them, but I've just joined the group and none bother me enough to complain about.

diaglo

Adventurer
as a referee i'm open to suggestions by my players. we work together to make it fit the campaign.

anything the PCs can do the monsters can too.

eris404

Explorer
I'll allow pretty much anything that seems reasonable. There are rules I might ignore unless it really become an issue (encumberance, for example) and there are some PrC that I'm not crazy about. But for the most part, there's nothing I've "outlawed" mostly because no one in our group has given me a reason to. ;)

francisca

I got dice older than you.
diaglo said:
as a referee i'm open to suggestions by my players. we work together to make it fit the campaign.

anything the PCs can do the monsters can too.
I'm with the Grognard.

Psion

Adventurer
I could probably dredge up lots, especially were I to delve into 3.0 material...

Since KB brings it up, I don't allow godless clerics except in Second World, where it's sort of a setting feature. And even then, I require your philosophy to be firm enough that you may as well take a deity.

Numion

First Post
francisca said:
I'm with the Grognard.

It's surprising that a grodnarg would say that the monsters can do what PCs can. That wasn't really the case in earlier editions, with the monsters being quite different from PCs in presentation.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
We usually hash things out between player and DM as we go along. I generally don't allow godless clerics or paladins. I don't sweat encumbrance unless it starts to become abusive, same with spell material components except for special situations. And I don't allow touch attacks to bypass shield bonuses.

Remove ads